Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this is starting to get overwhelming....

2001 Windstar....120K miles (or abouts).

Had issues with P0301 and the sort, bought a kit online based off the TSB, and replaced it all, cleaned what it said, and also did the coil, plugs and wires while I was there. No more issues from that (I don't think....but been sea foaming it every few months).

Been dealing with the ABS & BRAKE lights coming on. New M/C, new recall switch installed by Ford. Still trying to figure out why the pedal is soft some days, and almost 'correct' a few here and there days. Van still stops, I'm just careful.

Tire inflation light has just started coming on. Occasionally it goes off on its own. But the tires are all within 2 psi of each other, and bought 4 new at the same time.

Had a few episodes of the speedo lagging, and only going up to 30mph when I KNOW I'm doing 50mph or better. After it sits a few hrs, its fine.

Still trying to sort out my transmission puking issue. Does it when it wants to, and usually on warmer days....but not ALL warm days, nor any special distances or driving it HARD. Replaced vent with TSB part I bought, even put it in a overflow container. Still have a cooler waiting to go on....shifting around 48-50mph the shifts just go back and forth some times. AND the O/D button on the right stalk hasn't worked for a LONG time.

Right front suspension is acting up, clunking, think its a leaking strut. I don't even want to mess with it if the thing is going to fall apart....lol.

Already changed a bad hub bearing on the driver front side. Not a fun job.

E-brake doesn't work. Think that might be due to bad adjustment when I did the rear brakes a while back.

Changed brake switch and trans selector switch already. Still get a hard shift sometimes. Both parts are 'milled' parts I got from Autozone with same manuf as the OEM part. (by milled I mean they milled the ford part numbers off) :cornut:

Next week I gotta get emissions done on it, and while it always passed in PA, its gotta do it in MD, and not have any other lights on the dash. What a brake light has to do with the engine is beyond me. Anyways....its something I have to do.

So if anyone has any issues like mine they've resolved, I'll appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Wayne

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
[quote]So if anyone has any issues like mine they've resolved, I'll appreciate your feedback.
[/quote]

I don't think I had any of your issues, other than the E-brake not holding. I'll give you feedback on that. .. I changed the brake shoes, freed up the sticikng hand brake assembly, and rebuilt the wheel cylinders.

If I ever experienced YOUR issues, I would check my grounds. Fortunately for me, I have not experienced YOUR problems. My grounds, BTW are good. :)

How to check a ground
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/electrical-lighting/90-howto-how-check-ground.html#post410

·
Registered
158 Posts
The clunk in the right front could be a hub bearing going out. This can cause the tone ring to hit the ABS wheel speed pickup. That will turn on the ABS lamp. Also many people have pulled the wheel speed sensors and cleaned them to get rid of ABS faults. Don't know if that is your problem, just a thought. If you can get someone to read the ABS code that would really help.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Rscamaro73,

Wow, sounds like you have a plethora of Windstar problems.....
Been dealing with the ABS & BRAKE lights coming on.
Are both the ABS and Brake lights still on?
New M/C. Still trying to figure out why the pedal is soft some days, and almost 'correct' a few here and there days.
That "soft" pedal did it begin before or after the replacement of the M/C? Could it possibly be be an air bubble from replacing the M/C?
Tire inflation light has just started coming on. Occasionally it goes off on its own. But the tires are all within 2 psi of each other, and bought 4 new at the same time.
Please find attached TSB02-7-5 pertaining to Low Tire Warning Indicator Illumination.
Had a few episodes of the speedo lagging, and only going up to 30mph when I KNOW I'm doing 50mph or better. After it sits a few hrs, its fine.
Please find attached Ground Distribution diagrams specific to a 2001 Ford Windstar.

Ground Locations:

G101, G104, G106 - L/H side front engine compartment
G103 - transmission
G107 - L/H side front engine
G200, G202, G204 - R/H side behind dash panel
G300 - R/H D Pillar
G301 - R/H near D Pillar
G400 - L/H D Pillar
G302 - R/H side kick panel
G304, G305 - L/H side kick panel
Still trying to sort out my transmission puking issue.
Please find attached TSB06-4-10 Engine/Transmission Driveability issues - it is possible that in conjunction with aforementioned corrected driveability issue you experienced that this TSB applies too.
AND the O/D button on the right stalk hasn't worked for a LONG time.
That is not specifically transmission related. It could possible be a wiring issue from the O/D button on the shift lever to the Transmission Control Switch (TCS) connector, or a wiring issue beyond the TCS connector or even the TCS itself.

Right front suspension is acting up, clunking, think its a leaking strut.
Royesses is correct it could be the hub bearing! Another (common) possibility is the Sway Bar End Links.
E-brake doesn't work.
Just a thought, but could be why the Brake Light is on? Does not work how specifically? Have you check the parking brake cables?

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the info. That's most enlightening....

Now, to start this the 'easy' way....my question goes here -

G101, G104, G106 - L/H side front engine compartment
Where exactly would I find them ? Is it one single point or 3 separate points ?

I know there is a loose one where my headlight is. That's thanks to the repair guys when they did body work. Hmmm....they did replace the front harness (so they say) since the impact was head on with a pole where the headlight on the dr side is. I guess I can also check the ECM plug as well for water....and I guess underneath the dr side too. Guess I can figure out what that is.

I SOOOOoooo wanna just get an older car already (again)....like 70's older. No electronic BS...

·
Registered
906 Posts
The only issue I've had like you was the ABS & Brake light. The combination of the lights ended up being caused by the fuse for the Speed Control (which has the ABS module/Speed Control module/Brake pressure switch on the same circuit).

Then the remaining intermittent ABS light was caused by a bad L.R. ABS sensor.

Of course my cruise wasn't working at the same time, which I wasn't concerned about, then again, my fuse did something really weird. The cruise went out about 2yrs before anything else on the circuit, it's like the fuse only began to go, never had anything like that happen before. Since replacing everything has worked as normal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ How did you find out what specific wheel sensor was going bad ?

I've been trying to find an OBD II scanner with ABS reader, but I'm not buying some Snap On tool that needs yearly updates. Or any other in that price range. I have a $30 scanner that does the same thing as some of these $250 ones. All I need is the code #, I can research the rest. ;)

Thanks again for all the details.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I bought an Actron ABS scanner when Sears had them on sale for $100 (same price my mechanic wanted). You will probably have to take it to a shop to have it read if your OBDII scanner can't read them, or buy a scanner. I don't know of any auto store that will do the ABS codes.

BTW where at in MD are you, I will check w/some of the CEG guys and see if any of our members have an ABS scanner, or if they know some where around you that will scan it on the cheap for you.

^ How did you find out what specific wheel sensor was going bad ?

I've been trying to find an OBD II scanner with ABS reader, but I'm not buying some Snap On tool that needs yearly updates. Or any other in that price range. I have a $30 scanner that does the same thing as some of these $250 ones. All I need is the code #, I can research the rest. ;)

Thanks again for all the details.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm 45 min south of Waldorf Md.....but travel between Charles and Prince George Counties.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Cool, I put a post out there, I'll let you know if I hear anything, or you can watch the thread here:
Waldorf area

I'm 45 min south of Waldorf Md.....but travel between Charles and Prince George Counties.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Where exactly would I find them ? Is it one single point or 3 separate points ?
Yes 3 separate points. In the general area for the Left front of the Engine - if I recall correctly there is at the Rad Support, one near the Head Lamp Assembly and I'm drawing a blank on the other, although I'm thinking near the Shock Tower for some reason.
I guess I can also check the ECM plug as well for water....and I guess underneath the dr side too. Guess I can figure out what that is.
The PCM is #1 on the attached diagram. It is on the R/H side of the engine compartment under the wiper cowl.
That's thanks to the repair guys when they did body work. Hmmm....they did replace the front harness (so they say) since the impact was head on with a pole where the headlight on the dr side is.
Just out of curiosity, how many of these "issues" you are currently having have arisen since that accident?

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
BTW where at in MD are you, I will check w/some of the CEG guys and see if any of our members have an ABS scanner, or if they know some where around you that will scan it on the cheap for you.
I'm sorry Dave, I forgot to remember to tell you how incredibly generous, kind and helpful that was of you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
That's why we are all here. CEG doesn't have a huge member base in that area, but worth a shot.

I'm sorry Dave, I forgot to remember to tell you how incredibly generous, kind and helpful that was of you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again, I appreciate all the help.

Took the POS for a ride...its making one hella bad noise at the right front. Thought it was the strut or something dragging underneath....not anymore.
I just don't wanna shell out another $125 for a part and spend hours in the driveway beating on the old hub bearing to get it out. It took me 2 days to change it once I figured out how to get in and get it. Not looking forward to another one, but can't swing the cost, or the down time of either option.

Guess that's why my speedo is acting up (like again today on the ride home) and the tire inflation light wouldn't stay out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow I replaced both hub bearings in mine in around 2 hours for the first and 1.5 hours for the second. But not to knock you at all. I have air tools to help! And a wife that is not fond of being without her van for extra motivation. I would do yours for you if you were willing to drive it to my house in Powhatan, VA. You buy the part and I'd swap it out for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It took me that long cuz i couldn't get to the bolts inside....then when I finally figured that out I spent quite a bit of time with the air chisel and a BMFH/chisel/prybar and managed to get it out that way.

I got a really good workout. My vehicle was from PA, so its seen its fair share of snow and salt.

But if I need a new location (and its not too far away) I might take you up on it ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
It took me that long cuz i couldn't get to the bolts inside....then when I finally figured that out I spent quite a bit of time with the air chisel and a BMFH/chisel/prybar and managed to get it out that way.

I got a really good workout. My vehicle was from PA, so its seen its fair share of snow and salt.

But if I need a new location (and its not too far away) I might take you up on it ;)
Oh I understand the ill effects of salt! We just moved here last year from MI. So no worries I know rust and all of its techniques :lol: ! The torch and hammer are your friend!

·
Registered
906 Posts
One of the CEG put a line out the the NECO folks also.... I'll keep you updated.

Anyone in/around Waldorf area?

SVTRACER said:
Anyone in/around Waldorf area?
I have a friend from CEG who is helping another friend of his with some ABS codes. Seeing as the Cap-CEG members tend to lurk a lot, I figured I would try a shot in the dark and see if anyone on here had an ABS scanner and was able to help me/my buddy out.

Here is the quote from CEG.

D.Acker said:
Originally Posted by D.Acker
Hey everyone. I'm trying to help someone on another forum who is located about 45 in south of Waldorf, MD. He has an '01 Windstar and the ABS light is on, I don't suppose anyone from that area happens to have an ABS scanner that could help him out pull the codes, or know of a shop that won't charge and arm and a leg to pull the codes for him?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"MOST EXCELLENT" :thumbsup:

Funny thing though....with the heat (and current rain).....my red BRAKE light has been off for most of the day, and the regular braking pressure feel better, and not like the front brakes are doing all the stopping, but then again I did also wash the van and rinse thru the rims to clear as much brake dust as possible.

Clunking noise might be at the rear as well, but I won't know til my burn is gone and I get it jacked up and wheels pulled off.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I haven't forgotten about ya, just haven't heard anything yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts