Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok didnt know where to put this so this section looked good ... and this is about mactools and snapon ... i have always been a snapon fan, but i have been price comparing between the two, frankly because im tired of snaping craftsman tools or stretching them ... but i have noticed that mactools seems to have the same quality with a lot lower price, anyone care to comment on this ... any suggestion ... am i off my rocker ... let discuss the better tool!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
that's ok. i prefer Craftsman, mostly because i don't want to hunt down the guy...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also prefer Craftsman. Never broke one. Well, I did have a ratchet go bad once !

I'm not a Pro, but Snap On and Mac are way over priced as far as I am concerned !

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
When I was a kid I had a cheap set of tools made in Japan before Japan made good quality steel. With them I could pull starters, alternators, carburetors, and most parts off and put them back on. If however I started to strip a bolt head, I would get my dad's craftsman. I never had one break.

My brother in law maintains a fleet of garbage trucks, and swears by snap-on. He said that he had snapped a couple of craftsman impact sockets.

Another good friend who has a front end shop told me that he has all snap on tools. Primarily because that is what he bought when he first opened his shop. It took a LONG time to pay them off. Now he continues to buy snap on, but only becuase he has to buy very few tools each year. IF he had to do it over again, would he have started with craftsman? With a smile he said... well maybe. For ocassional use, or a set of tools for use at home, craftsman is fine.

Personally I have a mixed bag of tools. I'll often grab my set of Stanley because they are nicely laid out in a plastic case and well organized. They are better quality than the stuff I used as a kid, and laser etched. I have a decent set of craftsman. I do have a 1/4 drive ratchet that I should have them replace.

I have a S-K 1/2 in drive socket set that has not failed me in the few times I needed to use it. I can't imagine them failing anyone.

One of my favorite tools is, believe it or not from HomeDepot, a Husky. Its a cushion handled 3/8 drive ratchet that rotates the socket with a twisting of the handle in both directions (like using a screwdriver) or like a regular ratchet. If I need to use a lot of force to break something free, I might elect to use a different tool, then use it to finish.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm ... good thoughts ... good thoughts ... kinda alot for me to consider i have to totaly rebuild my tool collection so im just weighting my options ..

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I have that same Husky Socket Wrench.

OK I busted lots of Craptsman tools (Spelled it wrong on purpose). Blew up and destroyed ratchet wrenches, busted heads of screwdrivers, internally blew up socket wrenches, and cracked sockets.

I dont reccommend Craftsman screwdrivers, I got a set of Matco screwdrivers I bought in 1994 and never destroyed them.

I havent destroyed any Mac, Matco or Snap-on stuff yet.

I do buy Craftsman sockets and wrenches just because I can replace them faster than hunting down the Mac, Matco or Snap-on Tool Trucks. I have a whole bucket of spare sockets and regular wrenches.

FYI If you want Mac, Matco or Snap-on Tools just call your local Goodyear, Firestone or Car Dealer to see when their Tool trucks come in, usually once a week.

I do buy some tools from Harbor Freight because they have some specialty tools I rarely use and dont want to pay high $$$ for something I may use once or twice or tools you know you will never break.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have that same Husky Socket Wrench.

OK I busted lots of Craptsman tools (Spelled it wrong on purpose). Blew up and destroyed ratchet wrenches, busted heads of screwdrivers, internally blew up socket wrenches, and cracked sockets.

I dont reccommend Craftsman screwdrivers, I got a set of Matco screwdrivers I bought in 1994 and never destroyed them.

I havent destroyed any Mac, Matco or Snap-on stuff yet.

I do buy Craftsman sockets and wrenches just because I can replace them faster than hunting down the Mac, Matco or Snap-on Tool Trucks. I have a whole bucket of spare sockets and regular wrenches.

FYI If you want Mac, Matco or Snap-on Tools just call your local Goodyear, Firestone or Car Dealer to see when their Tool trucks come in, usually once a week.

I do buy some tools from Harbor Freight because they have some specialty tools I rarely use and dont want to pay high $$$ for something I may use once or twice or tools you know you will never break.
I've done the same, why pay out a good chunk of change for a one time use tool. But pretty much what you said right on. Despite I have yet to destroy my Craftsman stuff..

Right out of high school I needed a good set of tools so I could work on my Zephyr and do just other small odd jobs. So I bought one of those Craftsman sets from Sears for 100 bucks, it was like the 150 piece set. For what I use it for, its perfect. Small wrenching and other things. But when I worked at the mines everyone had Snap-on or Matco. Craftsman was the back up tool when the good stuff broke, which was VERY rare.

If I was going to have a shop or used them for my profession, I would go with said brands above have Craftsman as my back up stuff.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I remember back in the day, you could use a Craftsman ratchet as a hammer, break it, bring it in to Sears and they wold just hand you a new one, no questions asked. My tool collection is kind of a S$%tmix of various brands where I found a good deal on something I needed right then. Seems every time I have a nice set, it gets stolen or borrowed and comes back missing stuff, so I said the hell with it and just buy what I need, when I need it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the beauty is you can still use you ratchet as a hammer...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you make your living using your tools daily,it's best to go with something like SnapOn or Mac.The weekend mechanic would get the best bang for the buck with Craftsman.I learned along time ago that price is no substitute for quality and durability.I'd be willing to bet I've spent over 30K in tools and boxes,with most of them being SnapOn.You can't beat SnapOn's airtools, wrenches or sockets.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i guess the moral of the story is, if you want the best tool set, get the best that they all have to offer. BTW Snap-on has what i think are the best electronics...

Oh and if you want snap-on quality but not the price...
Go Blue-point. it's made by snap-on, but not as shiny. that's it

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Craftsman also has an industrial line of hand tools that are far superior to the ones sold in stores.They have a matte black finish and are available in their catalog.

·
Registered
906 Posts
FWIW all my tools are Craftsman, cracked a 18mm deep (we were putting a whole lot of torque to it though when it cracked) and had a 1/4" rachet strip, both replaced no questions asked at Sears. Only two things I've had problems with, even my drills which have been dropped and abused keep on going.

Again as other's stated, I'm not a professional mechanic so I can't justify the extra $$ for Snap-on etc, I've got friends in the HVAC business that have used Craftsman, Snap on etc, they still primarly stick to Craftsman.

I remember back in the day, you could use a Craftsman ratchet as a hammer, break it, bring it in to Sears and they wold just hand you a new one, no questions asked.
They still do, see above.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
actually when i graduated form UTI, they gave us a voucher for snap-on tools, and i decided it would be a better investment to get bluepoint since i could get way more tools for the same price. same quality, not shiny, and easier to grab/hold on to...
when i was in the Marine Corps i only got craftsman, and that's what 85% of us used in the hanger.

PS. I was MOS 6217- F/A18 Powerplant maintenance (jet engine technician) so i've put my tools through a lot of abuse, wether working on stuff, losing tools in the engines, and they shot out the back with some small dings, and scrapes, or just being in the Iraqi, and Afghanistan Desert...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm going into the Automotive program at my local college next semester(currently a soc science major), and we get such a good deal on Snap-on tools that I really can't pass it up, something like up to $7500 worth of tools for 52% off which puts my price for a set of pro tools at somewhere around $3700 or so. As is I use craftsman, what few tools I have, or the things I've bought from Lowes. Overall I would advocate Craftsman if you're just gonna be using it as a home set, as they're way easier to just go to Sears and replace if they break.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I have a set of the Blue Point ratchet wrenches, they are pretty bullet proof compared to Craftsman. I blew every single one of my Craftsman wrenches up, I returned them and bought the Blue Point ones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i just use my tools for weekend projects and I am very satisfied with the craftsman I have. When my mom divorced my father, (who I swear is the :devil:) he took all of his tools with him. I initially bought a Stanley combo/starter set and they lasted okay, but when I bought my first craftsman I replaced some of those old tools with craftsman. The worse thing about craftsman tools is avoiding the blue crew at Sears, so I go when they are busy.:smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
178 Posts
We use Snap-on, Mac,and my personal favorites Proto at the ship yard.Stanley just purchased Proto and Blackhawk. I was told that the Stanley and Craftsman pro industrial lines are all made at the same plant. I put both ratchets next to one another and they look identical. Proto has the same return policy for the industrial tools as Craftsman has on all the tools. Something i noticed on the non-patented Craftsman tools they are made over seas..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts