Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 Ford Aspires and had a third that we let go to our daughter. Love them. But would like to trade info with other owners on problems.

- Right now our 97 has got a problem with the gas gauge. When we fill up, it goes up to the top but somewhere between 60 and 100 miles, the gauge will drop to empty. Our machanic has no idea what's going on.

- This same car had a splutter. It was a slight splutter that appeared and then disappeared for more at least 2 years. The check engine light is on and we've had sevral repairs, plugs, wires, catalitic converter, etc. and nothing had changed. Now suddenly its much worse. Someone suggested the O2 sensor. Could it be the fuel pump? Any ideas? The gas milage had been good.

Road Runner

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts
Guessing on the fuel gauge concern, the sender in the tank is bad. One section of it is good and when fuel level gets to a certain place that section of the sender unit is bad. This is just a guess.

On the driveability issue, don't guess! Your CEL (Check Engine Light ) is on. It means you have a problem and the electronic engine control KNOWS there is a problem and all you have to do is pull the code(s). Assuming you do NOT have a code reader. Go to a fast moving parts store (Auto Zone, O'Reillys or ....) and have them read the codes, then replace the defective parts. They will read the codes for free because they want to sell you the parts. Otherwise you are just buying parts and guessing. Eventually you will get it, however there are over 50 sensors and actuators. Replacing parts as a guess is very expensive.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Staff Member,

Thanks for the info on the fuel gauge sensor thing. Makes sense. As my milage clicker works fine it normally isn't a problem but once on a long trip, we appearently got straight Ethanol by mistake. Car runs fine on it but gets only about 20 miles to the gallon rather than the 35-36 that is normal. Ran out of gas. No fun in a strange place.

On the splutter, we have had the check engine light read at least a dozen times. We have replaced this and that and the problem presists. The light always comes back on, never more than a day later. Been like this ever since we owned the car. Year before last we were in Yellowstone. Car was running fine. Got a tank of no ethanol gas and tootled around the park at 45 miles per hour (the speed limit there.) It was not spluttering then and got 46 miles to the gallon but the check engine light was on, as usual.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks,
Bill Howard

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts
Bill,

I could give you lots of ideas and I would be guessing. You could spend a lot of time and money on things like the O2 sensor, MAP, spark plugs, spark plug wires and more could all be a cause.

My suggestion would be take it to a professional. Because replacing this and that have not solved the problem, assuming the probem is one thing and you may have several things that are an issue since it has been like this ever since you have owned the car.

>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill,

I could give you lots of ideas and I would be guessing. You could spend a lot of time and money on things like the O2 sensor, MAP, spark plugs, spark plug wires and more could all be a cause.

My suggestion would be take it to a professional. Because replacing this and that have not solved the problem, assuming the probem is one thing and you may have several things that are an issue since it has been like this ever since you have owned the car.

>>>>>>>>Action
This is Roadrunner again. This is basically still about that splutter.

Have had the car in several shops but now have someone who seems to have identified the issue. The problem is he can't locate the part to fix it.

He calls the problem the "Cam Sensor" I am told it is also called a "Hall Effect Switch" or a "Pick Up Coil". It is located in the distributer and it controls the firing of the cylinders.

We are being told that the part can no longer be bought new. Is this true?

Surely not!!! Where can we get it?

Roadrunner
Bill,

>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts
Which engine do you have in that car?
1.3 or 1.5?

Know that this car was built in South Korea, has a Mazda engine and sold by Ford in North America.

>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which engine do you have in that car?
1.3 or 1.5?

Know that this car was built in South Korea, has a Mazda engine and sold by Ford in North America.

>>>>>>>Action
My car is the 1.3 4 cylinder. From all I have seen, this was the only one sold in the States. I have been told several times that the same car was sold in other countries under different names and I bought my first one because it seemed exactly like what I had been driving in Holland. I good mechanic who did something minor for me in the past said the engine was just like a Mazda he had worked on but the car has a label inside the driver's door saying it was built by Kia for Ford.

On the "Cam Sensor" or "Pickup Coil" thing, I have been told several times while looking for this part that my car does not have a Cam Sensor but my mechanic keeps saying it does.

My distributer was supposed rebuilt recently and this one on the internet is expensive. Is there any other option?

Roadrunner

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts
Does your distributor look like the one in the sale?

>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does your distributor look like the one in the sale?

>>>>>>>>Action
Went back to the mechanic and Pickup Coil is right. The distributer was supposedly recently rebuilt but apparently they did not replace that part. Is the Pickup Coil not sold apart from the whole distributer?

And is this a common problem with the Aspires?

Road Runner

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts
The Aspire is not a common vehicle for Ford. Neither is the engine or any of the parts. (Unless they are in some other vehicle) So difficult to tell if it is a common problem.

The above is a reason parts are difficult to find.

A good question would be who rebuilt and what did they do besides clean and paint.

When you said, "Pickup Coil is right"
Did you mean it needs to be replaced?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 12 of 12 Posts