Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jiffy lube was trying to sell me a rear differential and also a transaxale fluid change for my 2005 escape xlt with 3.0 AWD.

I done rear transaxle fluid changes on other cars some have plugs on bottom and a plug to fill on top you drain from bottom plug and fill till lube comes out of top plug. I don't have a service manual is the Escape rear differential setup that way? does it take good old fashion 80-90 gear lube?

Never had a 4WD before so need help on that. What does the trans axale take?

Last but should be first, is jiffy lube just trying to sell me something I don't need or is a transaxle and rear differential fliud changes required/suggested at 100,000 miles.

Plan on keeping car for at least another 100,000 miles hopefully 200,000 more miles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Most modern transaxles and rear diffs do NOT have drain plugs. Before chaning either, check the owners manual for frequency and exact specification.

I'm not a fan of any "quick oil change" facility changing transmission fluid. They typically use generic fluid and the add a some "magic stuff" for each manufacturer.

If the owners manuals says you should change the transmission fluid, I would pay extra and have it done at a Ford dealer or a shop that will guarantee that they are refilling it with the proper Motorcraft fluid.

The rear diff is drained by pulling the cover. The gasket is replaced and the lube is add through the fill plug. Rear diff oil usually NEVER need to be changed. If you do change it, put in synthetic. You might get 0.10-0.20 mpg improvemnet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Most modern transaxles and rear diffs do NOT have drain plugs. Before chaning either, check the owners manual for frequency and exact specification.

I'm not a fan of any "quick oil change" facility changing transmission fluid. They typically use generic fluid and the add a some "magic stuff" for each manufacturer.

If the owners manuals says you should change the transmission fluid, I would pay extra and have it done at a Ford dealer or a shop that will guarantee that they are refilling it with the proper Motorcraft fluid.

The rear diff is drained by pulling the cover. The gasket is replaced and the lube is add through the fill plug. Rear diff oil usually NEVER need to be changed. If you do change it, put in synthetic. You might get 0.10-0.20 mpg improvemnet.
I'm definitely with the oldwizard on not using quick change lube places , changing transmission fluid . I don't trust them period .

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm definitely with the oldwizard on not using quick change lube places , changing transmission fluid . I don't trust them period .
Exactly. I have said it before and it still stands: I would not trust a high school drop out making $8/hour to work on my $27,000 vehicle. Some things should just be done by the dealer or a qualified mechanic. Just my $0.02.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts