Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a drain plug for fluid change on the new 6 speed 6F35 0n the Escapes ?
I'm thinking about changing mine . I've only got 5000 miles on it , but the fluid
is quite a bit darker than when it was new . I wouldn't say it's brown , but a deeper red( like a deep red wine) than new . Had a few shift flairs when new ,I've never pulled anything with it , and I had the first PCM re flash at about 1000 miles and the second one at around 3000 miles and most recently had the customer satisfaction recall done . They only performed the flash since it's under 7000 miles. I haven't noticed shifting issues since the first reflash . It seems to shifting OK.
. I didn't think to have them look at the fluid at the dealer. Maybe I might wait awhile to see if I develop the left hand half shaft leak , I think that usually happens by 8500 miles. Then may be I will get it changed for free. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
798 Posts
5K miles seems too early for a fluid swap but these trans are a problem from what I gather. wptski, a member here will have more info for you, he seems to be our resident Escape expert. :thumbsup:
Sorry I don't have specific knowledge about the 6F35 but it's rare for any trans to have a drain plug any more.......you just need to drop the pan and take a bath in ATF :)
Not all ATF is red......some can be green and blue too although I'm pretty sure yours take Mercon V which is red......just wanted to throw it out there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5K miles seems too early for a fluid swap but these trans are a problem from what I gather. wptski, a member here will have more info for you, he seems to be our resident Escape expert. :thumbsup:
Sorry I don't have specific knowledge about the 6F35 but it's rare for any trans to have a drain plug any more.......you just need to drop the pan and take a bath in ATF :)
Not all ATF is red......some can be green and blue too although I'm pretty sure yours take Mercon V which is red......just wanted to throw it out there.
These new transmissions don't have a pan , and I see what appears to be a drain plug underneath . They take Mercon LV which is red. I have a new quart I purchased just to have on hand and it it quite a bit lighter in color than what my dip stick shows .

·
Registered
248 Posts
This takes LV trans fluid, which is XT10QLVC fluid.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sorry, the C stands for case. That's how we buy it and stock it in.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
78 Posts
The fluid is expensive ($8+ per qt) and you need ~9 qts to do the "change". An argument could be made to do it early to get rid of the break-in crap, but the fluid is supposed to be good for like 100k miles if not more under normal driving conditions. I'd think a pretty aggressive change interval would be every 30k. Or every 10k but only do the 1st drain and fill (not all 3).

·
Registered
78 Posts
you could pull a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs, they should be able to tell you if it's laden with metal and friction materials, esp. if you send them a sample of new fluid to compare.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone else with an 09 or 10 looked at their transmission fluid lately ? Curious if anyone else has dark fluid instead of the deep pink almost red new color ? Mine is a lot darker than new , more like dark red wine (maybe almost purple ) and only 5000 miles .But if I put some on a white paper towel it finally drys as a light pink color . I haven't noticed any shifting issues or pulled anything.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My new trans has dark red fluid now and yes it is looking like a darker wine color now with some miles on it.
How many miles is on yours ? It sounds as if your familiar with the fluid change , have you done one already ? So your fluid is much darker than new fluid also ? I guess I sound paranoid , but I've already had the Right hand cylinder head replaced for the knock / thump noise and now ....? I'm wondering if a new transmission might darken the fluid faster because of break in . Thanks for your info and suggestions .

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was planning to do a fluid change at my 20k service, but when I took it in to get the leak looked at, they changed out the whole transmission. The new one came pre-filled with fluid, and they did add several additional QTs to flush/top off the complete system per my invoice and discussion with the service people. So, no change needed for now. :) I did look up a tech-spec on the trans, and it matches the factory change description posted in this thread (the .pdf above). Basically when you pull the drain plug you only get about 3qts out. So, you drain what you can, then add back ~3 new qts, start the engine to circulate/etc. then drain/refill/circulate 2X more. This effectively gets ~9qts of new fluid into the system. The remaining fluid is probably 80-90% new, but the main thing is to get the particles out (which should be mostly just friction materials from the clutches) that can plug the valve body.

Personally. I will probably do the full flush every 30k, but I have read some threads where people state they do the single flush/fill every 10k, I suppose this would keep the fluid "refreshed" and keeps the buildup levels down.

It would be nice if there was a filter that could be serviced but I have not seen a procedure for that...so I'm not sure there is even one in the trans. and I am leery of adding an in-line filter while still under warranty.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Anyone else with an 09 or 10 looked at their transmission fluid lately ? Curious if anyone else has dark fluid instead of the deep pink almost red new color ? Mine is a lot darker than new , more like dark red wine (maybe almost purple ) and only 5000 miles .But if I put some on a white paper towel it finally drys as a light pink color . I haven't noticed any shifting issues or towed anything.
Could this be normal ?? I'm thinking I may be OK on this since I found some WEB sites that described the fluid drop ( blotter test ) and it did show up light pink after being absorbed by the paper towel. I know I've had other cars that didn't darken the fluid this soon , but maybe the type of fluid is making a difference also .
http://www.gwrauto.com/One Drop.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/atf.htm

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My new trans has dark red fluid now and yes it is looking like a darker wine color now with some miles on it.
I sent you a PM on this .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was at the dealer today and they showed me brand new fluid.It is almost purplle.He said as you drive it is normal to turn a brownish color.I think your wasting your money if you change it now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
At 20K miles my tranny fluid looks light purple/red wine on the dipstick, and brown/red on a paper towel.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At 20K miles my tranny fluid looks light purple/red wine on the dipstick, and brown/red on a paper towel.
Did you mean like or light ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts