Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Crown Vic P73 281198 miles.

All happy on Father's day, I go to pick up the kid. Five hundred yards from my driveway on the way back, I smell the unmistakable smell of transmission fluid and by the time I got into the driveway, smoke was coming out from under the car. I have about 1/8 mile of transmission fluid on the ground. There is now a pool of trans fluid under the car.

I jacked her up and went below to find the source of the leak and discovered that the converter housing plug was missing from the bottom of the bell housing and transmission fluid was leaking/dripping. There is no other leak.

So how did the transmission fluid drain from the bell housing through the converter housing access? Did the front pump seal assembly fail? Did the converter drain plug fail and fill the bell housing?

It sucks, big time. But the "bright" side is that she waited until she got home to dump the fluid and not in the middle of Tijuana. Happy Father's Day.

I don't have the equipment to tear her apart and check all this out and, fortunately, transmission work here is dirt cheap. The car has been extremely reliable and I guess after 281000 miles, the seal reached the end of its service life.

Anyone out there with similar experience?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would guess front seal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess front seal.
Yes, the front seal decided to give up the ghost and took the pump with it, also the torque converter seals failed so it's a huge mess. Pressure forced the fluid out and down the bell housing and the heat took the rubber converter access plug out, then the whole mess ended up in the driveway. :cryin:

Connected up with an older guy who spent most of his life doing transmissions out of a well hidden shop here in TJ, I went over to see him and, I have to say, my spirits were lifted when I saw he had two late model BMW's in there with their transmissions on the bench. He indicated that a Crown Victoria would be no problem whatsoever and, based on what I saw, I believe him.

He indicated that the best way to go on this job is with an end to end rebuild, all new stuff including a new torque converter and new pump. He told me that, removal, rebuild, reinstall of the existing transmission would cost a total of $350.00, and $35.00 for the tow (about 15 miles). :ihih:

He said the job would take one day. He said I'll have a 6 month unlimited miles guarantee on the job. :cornut:

I'll report back, to be continued.........

My Crown Vic gets towed to his shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Wow! That's super cheap. Are you sure?
Up here, you could pay over $200 for a flush & service.
I'd wonder if you could even buy the parts for $350. Although, down there, I guess it's possible. When I first bought my '03, went back to the dealer for something routine. They dragged an old cab in on the back of a tow truck. I heard the service advisor saying it would take several hours labour
(I believe 8) at $95 per, just for R & R. That didn't include actually fixing transmission. You could have the world's best kept secret there. Good luck with it.
caveat emptor!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vehicle goes in today for the work...I wanted to check the mechanic out a bit.

I confirmed the following: The mechanic has 30 years experience and knows his stuff. The existing transmission will be removed, rebuilt complete including a new torque converter, re-installed, cooler flushed and new trans fluid. The warranty is one year (not 6 months) unlimited miles. Total cost for the work is $350.00, and $35.00 for the tow. He has access to parts at a very low price, apparently; and I ain't asking why.

He is sending a flatbed now, so I'll come back when the job is done.

·
Registered
435 Posts
For those of us in the States it would be cheaper to pull our transmissions crate it and ship it to your guy for a rebuild and ship it back than to have one overhauled here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car back on Tuesday the following week. It runs and shifts like new. Total cost for the rebuild $350.00, including parts and labor. I took advantage of the opportunity to replace the transmission mount and the PRND2L mechanism on the shift column, for $50.00 including the parts. So yes, it was a fabulous deal. Nice to know that I don't have to sell one of the kids to get a trans rebuild.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those of us in the States it would be cheaper to pull our transmissions crate it and ship it to your guy for a rebuild and ship it back than to have one overhauled here.
If you're in San Diego, than you can pull the car across to TJ for the work and then drive it home. Even as far north as LA, it might make sense. I'm certain that the low price had something to do with the fact that the Crown Vic is a very common vehicle here, and parts are plentiful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're in San Diego, than you can pull the car across to TJ for the work and then drive it home. Even as far north as LA, it might make sense. I'm certain that the low price had something to do with the fact that the Crown Vic is a very common vehicle here, and parts are plentiful.
Would you mind telling me the name of the shop in TJ? My Crown Vic is having some transmission issues, and I would like to get that checked out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts