Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 ford explorer xlt 4.0L a4ld transmission. I just put a rebuilt tranny in in November. It has been problem free for the last 12000 miles or so. Recently it has started acting weird. If I put it in OD while sitting still it slips and barely moves forward, but if you pull it down into low gear it it locks in and rolls and shifts only If I manually work the pattern. It pulls strong no slippage in all gears. It will go into OD on the interstate but doesn't seem to want to down shift on it own when it leave the open road. I have to pull it down into 2nd gear. But then shift fine in stop and go traffic. Any suggestion are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level?

Based on what you posted it sounds like the fluid is low. The electronics do not operate until the 3-4 shift is needed. And/or the torque converter needs to lock up. (High speed low load)

By shifting into low you engage the transmission differently that needs less fluid.

When you pull the stick, smell it. If it smells burned, service the transmission. (Replace fluid and filter) That transmission is not known for longer service life if it over heats. Running low on fluid will over heat it.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
20200712_202546.jpg
The fluid level is fine. Smells good. That's what I thought at first because I was going through a round a bout when it first happen. It was
rebuilt around 12k mile ago. I am praying the front pump is not failing already. It has the tow package and the extra trans cooler. Quick question there are two cables on this transmission I know one of course is the shifter cable. If were a GM I would same detent but not sure. It the cable that hooks the short arm on the top.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
The other is for downshifting under load.

As in you are cruising on a highway at 45 mph and want to pass the car in front. You mash on the accelerator pedal. The other cable will allow the transmission to down shift to a lower gear depending on road speed (governor if it has one)

I am not that familiar with that C3 based transmission as I am with C6 based transmissions. There is a diagnostic routine in the shop manual. I just don't have one for the smaller transmissions and smaller SUVs

I would take it back to the shop that did the rebuild and take some one for a ride

>>>>Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what thought it was for, but wasn't sure. I bought this thing as a carry out and installed it myself. The rebuilder is out of state.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other is for downshifting under load.

As in you are cruising on a highway at 45 mph and want to pass the car in front. You mash on the accelerator pedal. The other cable will allow the transmission to down shift to a lower gear depending on road speed (governor if it has one)

I am not that familiar with that C3 based transmission as I am with C6 based transmissions. There is a diagnostic routine in the shop manual. I just don't have one for the smaller transmissions and smaller SUVs

I would take it back to the shop that did the rebuild and take some one for a ride

>>>Action

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New development. This morning I got ready to move the truck. When I shifted into drive the shift cable had had broken I am wondering if the failing cable might have been my problem. Had to call my local ford dealer but I will soon know when I get the cable installed

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Wow, post back when you know.

Maybe the transmission was not fully engaged!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have my fingers crossed. I have surpassed the 12mth 12k mile warranty on the tranny already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts