Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
Not without a lot of modifications.

The 302 might fit because late in 1963, Falcon could be had with a 260 V8. Same block as 302. So in therory that would work.

The C6 was designed as a transmission for big block engines. The 302 is not that! The 63 Falcon came with a 3 or 4 speed manual or a two speed automatic. Those choices would shorter and smaller in diameter than C-6. Plus a C6 would be over kill for a Falcon application. A C4 would be a better match. Even that choice would need some modifications.

And your question is "bolt to the cross member"? I am pretty sure the answer is NO to both of those transmissions. It would be a custom tranmssion mount with maybe a custom crossover. Or some combo of each. And in the application of a C6, the floor or tunnel will need modification as well.

Action

Reactions: pkevins

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had to "Form" the firewall part of the DS tunnel when installing T5 trannys' in my '61 and '63 falcon. The DS tunnel in the '74 Maverick for a T5 also. The T5 is much smaller than the C6 and its Belhouse..

'63 was a transition year and the firewall on US cars was slightly changed to fit the SBF V8. Depending on the original cars build date it may have slightly more bellhouse room in a late "Slant firewall" V8 '63 cars.

I do think the DS tunnel would l need some filleting to fit the C6.The body crossmember definitely will need to be cut out to fit the larger tranny and will need alternate bracing support for the crossmenber and tranny mount.

The original torsion spring OEM cross member is unusable for the larger/later trannys in general. There is a widely available "C4" conversion mount (@$100 US) that may be usable or more easily adaptable.

. . .

. .. . . .

hav e fun

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree that the C6 is too big to fit in the Falcon tunnel. I had a C6/351C in a 71 Comet which has a tad more room than the 64 Falcon I have now. The C6 would be overkill. The 63 cars also had a slightly narrower 5 bolt bell housing. I found that out when I had my 63 back in the 70's. I did a 260 to 302 swap and everything went well till I tried to put the clutch Z bar in and it was too wide. I had to remove 3/4" out of the center tube as the 302 pivot mount was in a wider position.

Go with the C4. I read where the FMX has some issues with header clearance as well.

Or better yet throw a T5 in it and have that extra gear.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts