Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the 260 swap into my '62 Ranchero with column shift three speed, and from my reading, I understand the original crossover exhaust interferes with the '65 V8 steering crosslink I'll be using.

So I'll needed Headers. (Sorry, honey!)

When they say automatic or manual in the catalogs, is it right to translate that to read column shift or floor shift?

Anyone out there stupid like me want to keep the floor space and retain the three on the tree but still have Headers?

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
"When they say automatic or manual in the catalogs, is it right to translate that to read column shift or floor shift?"
No

Automatic or manual refers to the transmission.
The transmission can be either flavor for either shifter.

For that model year -
Column shifter for manual or automatic.
3 speed for manual and a 2 speed for the automatic

Not sure a floor shifter was available for manual or automatic in that model and year. If it was, the automatic would have been the same 2 speed transmission.
The manual would have been a Dagenham 4 speed

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmmm. Unless there's a difference in V8 engine placement between '63 and '65, the crossover exhaust shouldn't interfere with the V8 center link. Here's my '65 289 4-speed with crossover exhaust. Mine is a manual steering car though, which may make a difference.

full suspension in.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the ticket. I have the manifolds for the crossover, stock '63 style. I'm not sure which write-up stated that the '65 V8 linkage would interfere, but if it works for you, that's what I'll do. Manual steering is the plan as well.

As for my first poorly worded question, for Headers, does "automatic" really mean "designed to clear column linkage" and with 3 on the tree that's the best choice? I ordered carpet and they asked auto or manual, I said manual and the carpet arrived with a huge hump for the T-10 linkage. Column shift doesn't seem to fit in their world.

Brewser - that photo helps a lot. I wasn't sure that the '65 V8 used the crossover, since the Mustang same year had started using a more traditional Y-pipe. Do you have a cross brace as well?

·
Registered
39 Posts
No cross brace; it won't fit with the crossover pipe.
Regarding headers for a Falcon V8 with a manual trans, I believe the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers are one of the few that work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When you look for headers the website should have a Y or N for column shift, manual trans etc. One thing to consider is the clutch linkage Z bar runs between the frame and engine right where long tube headers would route down between the frame and engine. Since you have a 260 primary tube diameter can be 1-1/2" like the shorty headers have. They have the least amount of clearance issues. I have them on my car now. Much better than exhaust manifolds but not the best for highly modified engines.

When you are searching headers you'll notice in the pictures the drivers side will have some tubes routed low and some high leaving a space for the clutch linkage. For Doug's headers the D660YS are for manual and D660YA are for automatics. Compare those pictures and you'll see the reason for the different part numbers.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts