Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I own a 1998 Ford Windstar. Just recently whenever i put on my brakes for traffic or a light, my RPM's drop and my van wants to stall. Even if I am not driving but the car is running if I drop it into gear it does the same thing. It seems ok while it;s driving until i decelerate.
My mechanic did a smoke test to see if there was a leak in the vacuum system and found nothing. Also he replaced the Idle control valve this did not help.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I did find a recall on this vehicle for a SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION. Not sure if this could be it or not.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi I own a 1998 Ford Windstar. Just recently whenever i put on my brakes for traffic or a light, my RPM's drop and my van wants to stall. Even if I am not driving but the car is running if I drop it into gear it does the same thing. It seems ok while it;s driving until i decelerate.
My mechanic did a smoke test to see if there was a leak in the vacuum system and found nothing. Also he replaced the Idle control valve this did not help.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I did find a recall on this vehicle for a SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION. Not sure if this could be it or not.
Thank you.

Not clear on this.

If you stomp the brakes while parked and the RPM's drop you have a brake booster leak.

If the idle is just really low in gear (even against a parking block) you have mixture issues or the like.

·
Registered
534 Posts
aill create a booster leak "whoosh" sound also

·
Registered
262 Posts
Probably like all the other Windstars. The intake gasket needs to be replaced.. In addition to poppy's suggestion of finding a vacuum leak. Also check for coolant in oil or oil in coolant... 1 clear indication is your coolant overfill bottle. Does it have oil inside?? Does the overfill tube come off the radiator real easy? These are a clear sign of coolant/oil contamination... Also don't forget your EGR ports. They get clogged with carbon... Do you have a check engine light on? If so what codes are being displayed. Autozone does a free code scanner.

2000 Ford Windstar (Codes 171 and 174)

P.S. Don't mind that the link is for a 2000 Windstar. They're all known for this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts