Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Thanks for the referral, Cuda jim.)

Hi...

Does anyone know where I can find a VRIS (variable resonance induction solenoid) that will work with my 1996 Ford Probe GT?

The car is in great shape, except that this item has stopped working and turns on the "Check Engine" light, meaning it will not pass an upcoming required emissions inspection. Neither my local car repair shops nor the Ford dealerships are able to find this part for me.

Help!! The car seems to run fine without this solenoid, but unless I get a new one, the car, which looks and runs like it's only a few years old, will be grounded.

I have tried checking with Mazda dealerships, but they need a Ford part number, which I have not been able to obtain as Ford no longer lists that part. If anyone has info on that, it would also be very helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
(Thanks for the referral, Cuda jim.)

Hi...

Does anyone know where I can find a VRIS (variable resonance induction solenoid) that will work with my 1996 Ford Probe GT?

The car is in great shape, except that this item has stopped working and turns on the "Check Engine" light, meaning it will not pass an upcoming required emissions inspection. Neither my local car repair shops nor the Ford dealerships are able to find this part for me.

Help!! The car seems to run fine without this solenoid, but unless I get a new one, the car, which looks and runs like it's only a few years old, will be grounded.

I have tried checking with Mazda dealerships, but they need a Ford part number, which I have not been able to obtain as Ford no longer lists that part. If anyone has info on that, it would also be very helpful.

Thanks.
It is my understanding that VRIS is only checked for coil continuity at startup. Check the VRIS connector for 12 volts to make sure you do not have a wiring problem first.

Lacking a replacement solenoid, you should be able to fool the computer by putting a resistor accross the plug. 330 ohm @ 1 watt should do. This should stop the DTC.

Try that and report back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts