Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just got my first ever Ford and fell in love already. Got myself a Falcon BF MKii (2007).
I’ve had a code P1381 and P1386 timing over retarded and a P1340 Cam Sensor issue.
I’ve replaced the cam sensor and the other two codes still appear.
So I’m likely replacing solenoids but as they are very expensive parts and a big job removing the rocker cover and then doing the gasket etc I’m wandering what will happen if I just unplug them until I get it fixed.
the symptoms I’mhaving is surging and already had a smoke test so no leaks and the car before I got it has had a new throttle body and new MAP sensor so the only possible cause is the VCT. Will unplugging for the interim cause damage and/or resolve the surging just for the moment?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
The PCM uses VCT to advance or retard valve timing as it sees fit for the most efficient engine operation.

Disabling the system may produce poor fuel economy, drivability issues and or spark knock.
I don't think it will cause damage. You just might not like the performance

What engine?
How many miles?

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PCM uses VCT to advance or retard valve timing as it sees fit for the most efficient engine operation.

Disabling the system may produce poor fuel economy, drivability issues and or spark knock.
I don't think it will cause damage. You just might not like the performance

What engine?
How many miles?

Action
4Litre N/A Barra. 180,000 km. Job to replace the solenoids is hard as the rocker cover needs to come off I think as they are bolt on not push on like later ones. I just want to drive for a little bit without causing the surging issues (most likely caused by the solenoids given the error) or even unplugging then to confirm if that’s the issue.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Thanks
We do not have that straight six in the states.

The version I am familiar with can be replaced with the cover in place.
After removing a seal the VCT is held in with a torx bolt.
If the bolt drops out the cover does have to come off.

Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts