Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up the jumper cables backwards let's get that out of the way first thing. The car stayed on for about 4 hours after that. Now when I drive it the voltage meter pegs out with acceleration. I'm trying to determine if I need a battery or an alternator. I also started checking the fuses none seem damaged but I also don't know what I'm looking for as far as which fuse is need to be checked. Also I live in remote Alaska and don't have access to an auto shop but I can mail order the parts I need from a distant City.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

You may have just damaged the voltmeter.

Before replacing parts, use a hand held volt meter on the battery.
Engine off volts should be between 12 and 12 1/2
Engine on cold ROM the volts at the battery should be 13 1/2 to 14 1/2
At warmed up idle speed the voltage should be at 13

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

You may have just damaged the voltmeter.

Before replacing parts, use a hand held volt meter on the battery.
Engine off volts should be between 12 and 12 1/2
Engine on cold ROM the volts at the battery should be 13 1/2 to 14 1/2
At warmed up idle speed the voltage should be at 13

Action

Dude thank you! Really glad to be a part of this forum now that I'm a Ford owner I look forward to more valuable advice for now what I do need to say is that the van does run fine the gauges pegging out if I leave it overnight the battery is completely dead the next day though.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
If that year has an external voltage regulator (and I think it does) there is a coil inside that disconnects the alternator. That may be blow. I will look for a diagram on the net.

What engine do you have?

Action

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
From the net. The is for the diesel. I have looked a 4.2l diagram and they are about the same.
NO external regulator.

First - why did you need to jump start the battery?

Action

Schematic Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
125 Posts
From the net. The is for the diesel. I have looked a 4.2l diagram and they are about the same.
NO external regulator.

First - why did you need to jump start the battery?

Action

View attachment 49562
You may have damaged the alternator when you reversed the jumper cables. Try taking the car to a place like Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. They may be able to test the electrical system and charging system free of charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts