Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have finally figured out what I needed and received all the parts for my electric fan upgrade. My first problem is with my new 140amp alternator. The stock wiring harness will not work so I have to cut wires and reconfigure, not happy about that. But even more confusing is that the alternator instructions state that I need to have a solid state voltage regulator and they recommend part number 7540 like this --> voltage regulator on jungle website

This is the one I have and I can find no indication if this is solid state or not. Even the suggested part says nothing about solid state or not. Do you think I need a new voltage regulator or are these guys just hocking their product?

It sure looks like I have some sort of condenser under my voltage regulator.

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
And the condenser is just a radio suppression piece to keep the interference to a minimum.
That condenser is needed for radio static suppression with a mechanical regulator. A mechanical regulator has points that open and close. Those points would arc when opening and that arcing makes an electrical sound that is picked up in a radio.

With a solid state (or we now call electronic) voltage regulator the switching is not accomplished with points, the switching is done electronically. With no points the condenser is not needed as an electronic voltage regulator does not create "electric" noise.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Ahhhhhh isn't that supposed to be in the car?

Action

Reactions: mainsoda and Bob2

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
Aaaaaaah I see.

That tranny is Mini me.

Action

Reactions: mainsoda
1 - 11 of 11 Posts