Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
BTW the 65/66 switch does not fit 1967

Action

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the switch. C5AZ 14540 B for 1965 and 1966 full sized Ford based on the MPC. But the diagram you posted has a 3 wire switch. This listing is for a 2 wire switch.

Is the wiring diagram correct?

Action
I think that's for a door switch or rear qtr switch. The console switches are unique to Galaxies and only made in 65/66. C5az-14633-C or D and c6az-14633-H I believe.

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
The attachments are in pdf form because that is how my scanner rolls. It is of two pages in the 65 to 72 Ford MPC

The part numbers are
C5AZ 14633 D for switches on the right side
C6AZ 14633 H for switches on the left side

And ONLY for 1965 & 1966 full sized Ford with the body types of 63C, 63D, 76B & 76 D
(I looked it up and full sized Mercury's have a different switch.)
A 1965/1966 Ford Galaxie 500 XL two door coupe with bucket seats is a body type of 63C

For the period of 1965 to 1972 and only full sized Ford there are 15 different power window switch part numbers.

Power windows on the far more popular pony car was not available in that time frame until 1971.
Thunderbird had power windows as a common option. None of those switches work on full sized Ford with the exception of the master control switch.

Which leaves full sized Ford power windows as a low production option. ON a car that is not as popular as Pony cars. Especially in the years between 1965 to 1968. Which means the aftermarket world isn't going to produce the switches.

Finding switches may only be stocked in the unobtainium parts world.
So I am going to make a suggestion. That suggestion comes from the Lincoln world and is a guy in Denver that rebuilds switches. He may not be able to work on yours but it is worth a shot. And from what I know the turn time can be measured in weeks. Just a suggestion.

Action

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. 76B is XL convertible which is what I have. I just bought a NOS switch C6AZ 14633 H. Will be here in 2-3 days. Only 1 I could find. Not sure why the side would matter. From my understanding they can be moved around. Connections are the same going out.

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
Yeah for many years body type 76 any letter after that is a soft top
And body type 71 is a wagon.
I know the letter is significant, just not sure of the significance
Beyond that usually I have to look up the data

Most of the time a switch is not body type specific. This may be due to different engineering teams working on different body types and then designing the parts. This would be my guess and that guess falls inline with my uncle who worked at Ford in a engineering office. He function was based only in 6 cylinder engine engineering in the 1970s. In a world that was pre-computers or has very little computer availability to design things, the company split up many areas of the car to get the job done. This might be one of those areas where the body styles with center console was separate from bench seat vehicles.

Action

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah for many years body type 76 any letter after that is a soft top
And body type 71 is a wagon.
I know the letter is significant, just not sure of the significance
Beyond that usually I have to look up the data

Most of the time a switch is not body type specific. This may be due to different engineering teams working on different body types and then designing the parts. This would be my guess and that guess falls inline with my uncle who worked at Ford in a engineering office. He function was based only in 6 cylinder engine engineering in the 1970s. In a world that was pre-computers or has very little computer availability to design things, the company split up many areas of the car to get the job done. This might be one of those areas where the body styles with center console was separate from bench seat vehicles.

Action
Thanks for your help. Really hoping the switch solves the ground issue we narrowed down. Had someone message me last night that said they lost one console switch in rear and could not find a replacement switch so they soldered them both to 1 working switch. Guess that would be worst case scenario...

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
I am always interested in getting a full sized Ford from the 1960s/1970s back on the road fulling functioning.

And call me a sick kind of guy, I really like optional equipment!!! And while your power window is a rather unique, there are some even more rare optional accessories. Especially in the full sized Mercury line of the 1960s.

Action

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am always interested in getting a full sized Ford from the 1960s/1970s back on the road fulling functioning.

And call me a sick kind of guy, I really like optional equipment!!! And while your power window is a rather unique, there are some even more rare optional accessories. Especially in the full sized Mercury line of the 1960s.

Action
2 years ago I drove 12 hours one way to look at a 24k original mile, original owner 65 Galaxie convertible---guy wanted $20k...and it had no zip so it needed work and although it was a 15 footer, paint was showing it's age. Had factory spot light on pillar post and XL fender script although it was a regular Galaxie 500...so that was unique.

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
I have done things like that.
Not sure where you are and I am in AZ.
Most of the car population follows the population of people. And in the US most people live East of the Mississippi. Those cars tend to be in worse condition compared to the SW because of the weather. But there are a lot of cars out there. Except for the LTD, all of the cars in my signature line came from the mid-West or NE.

Doesn't count the cars I drove to at a distance and did not buy.

And now that I think of it, the cars that I bought East of the Mississippi I never saw in person before buying. And all was very good. Sellers were all very honest about the vehicles they were selling. Not so much for the cars I went to see.

Action

Reactions: ilaudio
1 - 11 of 11 Posts