Water in Driver's Door 2008 | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Water in Driver's Door 2008

Discussion in 'Ford Escape' started by Air Aitch, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

We had a good rain the other night. My Escape is not garaged. When I opened the driver's door, water poured out the bottom. I guess the good news is that the drain hole is open and unobstructed, and the bad news is the window seals don't.

Anyone else have this experience? Was it bad seals that caused the water infiltration? If not, what was it? How did you resolve the issue?

TIA
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

See if this helps could be bad belt seals
    Air Aitch likes this.
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

The 12 year old seals may need replacing. Here is a set on ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-20...685765?hash=item2cce2e0e05:g:hREAAOSwuHdaZ3dj
    Replacement may involve removing the inner door panel. And some types are stapled in. Not familar with your model

Was it only the driver's side or other windows too?

Cheap and easy things you can do to mitigate water intrusion.
    RainX the windows. This is a coating that makes the water bead up and roll off.
    Treat the existing window seals with a rubber conditioner. I used a Mequiars product but any will do the trick. This will keep the dried rubber that is beat up by the Texas sun a little more flexible.
    https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Vin...conditioner&qid=1592772553&sr=8-4&tag=mh0b-20

Lastly regular car wax. All around the door window opening. It will keep the water away from the vehicle and will cause the rain water to shed off of the vehicle faster.

>>>>>Action
    Air Aitch likes this.
  4. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

Thanks, guys!

Happy Father's Day!!

Only the driver's door was shedding water. I didn't hear any sloshing in the other doors. Probably the driver's window has been lowered and raised many, many more times than the others thus abrading the seal causing a leak.

I'll treat the other seals and give the glass a good RainX coat, too.

The seal on ebay was for the 'right' side, presumably the passenger side.

Are there any good online sources for Ford parts? I have had problems with Rock Auto therefore avoid them. Searching turned up some official Ford sites that were damned near impossible to search.
  5. Dominick 1

They make 2 different chrome and without chrome trim
    Do you have a Dealer near you?
    If Not try theses people
    Contact
    OEM Ford Part
    2407 BROWNS BRIDGE RD

GAINESVILLE, GA 30504
    Air Aitch likes this.
  6. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

I purchased the window seal from CheaperFordParts.com. It was damaged when I received it but I installed it anyway thinking that it would be better than the old one. I have since informed the seller and ordered a replacement.

For anyone else needing to replace this seal, it is very simple.

There is one Torx screw to remove located on the inner door about in line with the top of the window. Once it is removed, simply lower the window and pull the outer end of the seal away and out of the door then slide it out of the enclosure at the inner door end. Reverse the procedure to install a new one.

My local dealer quoted $80-90 for the part and $45 to install. I paid $54 delivered for the part and took less than 10 minutes to install it. The dealer quote is definitely a rip off, IMO.
    Action likes this.
  7. Dominick 1

The dealers have a lot of overhead and training money involved
    Good for you for repairing it yourself
    Air Aitch likes this.
  8. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

If they have that much overhead they need the advice of some good accountants, IMO. I've come to believe that dealers should be cut out of the sales side of automobile delivery entirely. I can't see that they should build such hugely expensive facilities just so buyers can see the wares. Computers have come too far. I'd like to see regional facilities that inventory cars and deliver them for inspection based on computer orders. Get rid of car salesmen and local showrooms. Cut costs back to make them more affordable.

As for charging $45 for 5 minutes work that requires virtually zero training or knowledge, that can only be described as rapacious. Assume that the job takes 10 minutes. With six 10-minute segments in an hour, multiplying that $45 by 6 makes the wage rate + overhead somewhere close to $270, by my math, but I didn't take my shoes off to do it.
  9. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

I worked for (and I think Dominick did to) several Ford & LM stores. I did on the service side. And I worked for the Company for 7 years as well.

Some of the overhead is mandated by the Company. And it doesn't matter which manufacturer, all of the manufactures have requirements or the manufacturer yanks the sales and service agreement. Actually the dealership states they agree to the requirements before the franchise is granted. And to some degree it is the overhead that is needed to attract a customer to the facillity.

But everything is a niche! Even the car and light truck world.

Most car dealerships are not really interested in serving the used car or used car parts world beyond 5 to 10 model years back. It just requires too much investment. The parts inventory on hand has to turn over 3 times a year to make an acceptable profit. Meaning if the dealership has a million dollars in inventory, they have to sell 3 million annually to make a go of it.

Cutting back isn't going to happen in service either. The dealership spends a lot of money to train and equip a tech with special tools. When you take your 12 year old vehicle in for service you are paying for a very high level of experience to do maybe a lower skilled job. The dealership in many cases is not set up for nor is looking for that low skilled job. And many dealerships operate differently.

Everyone knows the internet is out there including youtube and all of the other resources. Most dealerships are focused at the new car market, high tech repair jobs and parts that support that end. Ask for something else, sure they might accommodate, but it may not be the most efficient way to get the job done.

Sourcing your parts request and your labor wants to the more efficient avenues is like buying a used car. There are a lot of different ways to accomplish that end.

>>>>>>Action
    Air Aitch and Dominick 1 like this.