Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to help my neighbor that has a 1995 Mercury Marquis with a 4.6 V8 engine. It has water in the oil and I believe it froze back during the winter because he was using only water as a coolant and forgot about it.
I know there are freeze plugs that could pop out and let water get in the oil. Could this be caused by a broken intake manifold? What would be the most likely reason for the water in the oil seeing that it did not run hot?
What should I check before I start taking the engine apart? It will crank and run but I told him not to crank it again until the problem is figured out because it will damage the engine. I was thinking about taking the front of the engine apart so that I could see if one of the front freeze plugs popped out and is letting water go down the timing chain cover. I also want to know about the intake manifold. Thanks, BG

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you believe the block was frozen in the winter. Then the block should be pulled & checked out by a professional..In the mean time you can do a compression test on each cylinder. More than likely the head gaskets are blown & possibly the intake gaskets. Hope that's all that is wrong.
almost forgot. If the car runs. You can check for intake Vacuum leak with an unlit propane torch.. Turn the knob on(DO NOT LIGHT GAS) and slowly move torch around intake gaskets & seals. If you hear an increase in engine RPM's. You have a leak..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He does not have the money to take it to a shop and I am trying to help him. I am hoping he got real lucky and it is something that can be fixed at home. He did say that it did not have alot of water in the engine but I tried to tell him that it does not take much to break something on the engine. Without pulling the engine what should I check for? I have worked on my own cars for years but I never let them be without antifreeze in them so this is a problem I have never had.

·
Registered
262 Posts
read my first reply. those tests are performed with engine in car..

·
Registered
338 Posts
you could try a co2 test for the antifreeze, if it leaks one way, it might leak the other way as well, and if you do a co2 check on the radiator, you might find c02 and know there is a problem in the combustion cycle, so cylinder or head gasket. but if you dont see water on the outside, leaking from the front or rear of the motor, then you might be in trouble.

You can rent a compression tester from autozone for 30 get all you money back when you return it. this is something to test,

You did check the exhaust for water, hold a piece of paper up and see if it get wet, to see if a cylinder is leaking ...

my 2 cents

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without getting into alot of work I looked under the intake manifold and it looks like a crack in the top of the block so it looks like my neighbor will need another engine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You should be able to get an intake from a bone yard for about 50 bucks.
Intake gasket from rock auto 20.00

Head gaskets 82.00 from rock auto

And you still don't know the condition or the block or heads.. There could be cracks in those also. tell your neighbor he/she really screwed the pooch here. I would suggest you just deliver the bad news & walk away from this one... There's to many possible problems with this engine due to it being frozen. He'd probably be better off going to a boneyard & picking out a new engine.. And even then you won't know what you're getting until you install it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts