Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an aerial veiw taken at 1500 ft. above the Gulf of Mexico. Way to go British Petroleum (BP). This disaster might even rival your Exxon Vadez spill up in Alaska!!

SAD. SAD. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Got themselves a hell of a mess, don't they?

·
Registered
906 Posts
BP did\does not own the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, nor the B.O.P. equipment. That was\is all owned by Transocean, who is ultimately responsible for the maintenance and safe operation of said equipment. BP does however, own the oil in the well, therefore they are 100% responsible for clean up. which the number of people and resource they are throwing at the spill is quite remarkable. As we know weather has not been the best which has hampered efforts to contain the oil. Not to mention the depth, having something like this happen at this depth is almost unprecedented.
Also they will honor any legitimate loss claims filed.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how people are tying BP to the responsibility of the Exxon Valdez spill, I haven't been able to find anything saying BP owned the tanker or the oil in it. The only thing I've found is some article on truthout.com (or something like that) stating BP was supposed to have response people in Alaska and supposedly didn't.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that response has probably been perfect, but they do truly seem to be doing the best they can, yes it would appear errors were made in the initial calculations of the amount that was leaking.

Hopefully the cofferdamn that was lowered today can be up, running and containing approx 85% of leaking crude, then hopefully they will be able to cap the other leak until the relief wells can be drilled.

I'm sorry if this seems very one sided, but I do (oh boy here we go(running for flamesuite)) work for BP, in their Environmental Compliance Department (retail locations, not Exploration and Production). I can honestly say I have tried to read all the articles (not just internal or BP generated) and personally it seems the response team is doing everything they can.

Also, you hear people screaming that BP's talk about caring for the environment and safety (HSSE - Healty Safety Security Environment) is just greenwash. I will say this, I have never worked for a company that is more concerned about their employees safety, or the environment, I'm a HSSE Champion for our business unit and I devote almost as much time to that as my normal duties. No I'm not saying we are perfect, I can't, we make mistakes, nor am I an official spokesperson for the company. I just want people to hear the facts as we all know the media twists things. Trust me, I'm a person that if the company I work for screws up I'll be one of the first screaming Yup we f'd up. If I could be in the Gulf area with my sleeves up helping deploy booms, clean birds etc I would be.

Sorry for the rambling rant. I'm going back to detailing the car.

**EDIT**

Just saw this article, methane gas bubble appears to be the cause of everything (time and further investigation will tell for sure).

http://www.kcci.com/news/23482338/detail.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts