Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this will be long but hope detail helps. 1995 E350 with 446 eng. Couple weeks ago the starter went, had van towed home. Installed new starter and suddenly van would not run once shifted into gear. Starts right up but as soon as shifted into rev or fwd in sputters and dies. Gets worse as warms up. Un related changed battery and alt when changed starter as they were shot. Took it to Ford dealer and for tne sum of $185 they said tranny was bad. I knew tnanny was going as it has 200 thou miles on it. Put in new tranny and now it shakes when starting out and still stalls at lights and when shifting into gear unless you rev it up. Took it to tranny place that sold tranny to me and they said was eng problem in ign as couple cyl misfires, and tranny was a quart low on fluid so that was problem. Not. Changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor and still has problem. Any ideas oh ya new fuel pump and filter three months ago.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
wow

has the check engine light come on?

·
Registered
29 Posts
if the torque convertor is locked up, it would give those symptoms.
I'd also have a look at the ignition switch as you shift out of park to see if the shift tube or any rods touch the switch. (Seen that only once on an F250)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No check eng light, no flashing o/d. New ign switch and key as well. Tranny shop swears tranny is good, (avoiding warrente) I think it is a tranny problem as well. Another symptom it makes a squelling noise from tranny when you put it in gear that they can't hear although it is quite loud. Strange thing is it did stalling thing on old tranny just no shake. Also weird that all started when starter went and it had to be towed

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
van would not run once shifted into gear. Starts right up but as soon as shifted into rev or fwd in sputters and dies. Gets worse as warms up.

said was eng problem in ign as couple cyl misfires, and tranny was a quart low on fluid so that was problem. Not. Changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor and still has problem.
How does it idle? If you are not sure, you can feel the exhaust, it should be nice and smoothe. If not you'll feel the missfire.

I'd look for vacuum leaks, pull diagnostic codes, and perform either a compression test, or put a vacuum gauge on her.

How to pull OBD1 codes in your driveway
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/for...nostic-codes-obd1-pre-1996-fords.html#post413

Howto locate a vacuum leak
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/94-howto-how-locate-vacuum-leak.html#post423

HowTO use and interpret a vacuum guage
How to Use and Interpret a Vacuum Gauge

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I am testing you. When you pulled codes what did you get? The only reason for the test is that I've had people tell me that they pulled codes and they didn't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Code reader said no faults found. Tranny guys ran system analysis prior to changing plugs etc and said two cyl misfires.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
So after the plugs, wires etc were changed the missfires cleared up?

Seriously, I'd hook up a vacuum guage. IF that also says that you have a healthy engine, that would add more creedance to the argument that it is trans related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never did idle bad but plugs etc were worn out. I'll try vaccume guage tomorrow, just seems strange that all started when got it towed. Ran great before that, also no shaking on old tranny thats why I think bad converter. Only shakes under load like starting up or just before it shifts than runs fine. Plus squelling noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts