Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its weird, i think its the trans, it doesn't do it until after 30mph but it i let go of the gas like to slow down from 60, it doesn't do it. weird?? my guess is transmission, i do want to drop the pan, and change the filter and fluid, that a good idea? think it would help??? thanks!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i think its a C4, not sure, and flued is nice and red, looks like it has maybe 10k on it. doesnt smell burnt either. but maybe its the rear!? :frown2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Put the rear end up on jacks and secure the truck so it doesn't go anywhere, put it in gear and have a helper give it gas, then you listen to the rear end and the tranny for the noise.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its comming from the rear end, :mad2::mad2:. how long will it last? i wont have cash for like 2 months and thats my only transportation.... damn this sucks

·
Registered
684 Posts
Change out the gear oil and get an additive for it. There's one out there, I think Lucas or royal purple makes it. It ought to quiet it down and oh, check the old oil for shavings. If it's not the gears, it could be the bearings, which can be repacked or replaced on the cheap. BTW if you got an FE motor in there, 90% sure you got a c6 trans.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i checked the oil in the rear end, its really really dark brown. and how do i drain it? doesnt look like the cover comes off...... and my dad sat in the back of the bed and we went down a few roads doing various things, its louder from the passenger side, like 75% louder. driver side jsut sounds like its getting ecchoing from the passenger. he said it could be the bearing also, cheap fix as you said, 15 each for the rear end

·
Registered
262 Posts
Jack the truck up again & place it on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground. Chaulk front wheels & place truck in Neutral. Spin wheels by hand.You'll hear the bearings grinding if they're bad...

·
Registered
684 Posts
No matter what, replacing the bearings on a truck this old may be preventive maintainence, they just might be the originals! If it's the original diff, it's likely a 9 inch and IIRC there should be a drain plug in the bottom of the housing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok sweet, and my pops is gonna help me with bearings maybe next weekend, preventive maintainence is always a good thing tho

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would change the ring and pinion while your at it if you have the cash, just so the rear end last's a lot longer, assuming the bearings are bad right now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ring and pinion?? whats those? just getting into the whole mechanics thing

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Before you go yanking things apart.Step one is to determing the exact location of the noise.Is it axle bearings or differential bearings.Use a stethoscopeif you have one or a long flat bladed screwdriver.Put the truck up on jacks leave the rear wheels on so you load the axle brgs.From under the truck place the screwdriver blade against the end of the rearend hsg about a 1/2 inch from the brake backing plate,place the plastic end against you ear and listen for grinding sounds when the wheel is spun.you can spin it by hand or put the car in gear and bring up the speed slowly. As for the rearend bearings or ring and pinion,this is not a job for the novice or even a backyard mechanic.Special tools are needed to set pinion depth and tooth backlash not to mention tooth contact.If it is the rearend,it's probably a front loader and you can pick up one from the junkyard as a complete unit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok gotcha, also there is NO drain plug, just the plug were u check the lvl. so what i do now?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
does your rearend have a rear cover held on with about 12 bolts or are the bolts on the front side

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
on the front side twords the engine

·
Banned
292 Posts
chances are if the bolts are on the inside (driveshaft side of axle) then either you have a 8" or a 9" rear end, (not sure if there's others choices) but thats the good news. the Center Carrier can come out as a whole unit, which is easier and cheaper to work on. NOW THE BAD NEWS....i dont remember how to take it out. I do agree with Boghog....AutoZone.com | Automotive Stethoscope helps... on other possible good news, if the gears are bad u can find a junk yard and get the whole center carrier for prolly under $400

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i actually had a surgical syringe like the big ones that are plastic, hooked a rubber tube to it, and stuck it inside the diff and got all that nasty black fluid. and the noise is from the wheels, which is a relief!! bearings or brake stuff is a lot easier and cheaper. haha thanks for all the info everyone! very helpful. =)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts