Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a brain whachmicallt. When I was under the car checking the fit of the exhaust I'm having bent I pulled the vacuum hose off the back of the transmission.It had fluid in it, and I'm sure that side is not supposed to have fluid. so I have to replace it. What is it called? so I can look it up?
Also, how can I tell what kind of Auto transmission I have?

Thanks,

·
Registered
623 Posts
Its called a vacuum modulator valve . I would need to know the shape of your transmission pan to tell you what you have.

·
Registered
623 Posts
also some of the modulators had a color stripe to identify them(not that it would still be visible)but its worth looking for.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
each color of stripe has a different length rod that goes to it from the transmission, so that's why it's kinda important, but like phantom said, you might not be able to see it. also when you take the old one out, make sure the rod doesn't shoot out too far. you could put a heavy towel, or piece of cardboard across form the modulator to keep it from going too far. i had that happen like 3 years ago, and i still haven't found it...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll remember.... things shoot out when ya take it off!
I did find that napa stocks them. I'll prolly pull it this weekend to see if I can get it replaced.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That car will have a C-6 trans in it. Anything that heavy has to have a beefy trans in it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
That car will have a C-6 trans in it. Anything that heavy has to have a beefy trans in it.
if the f-series, and Econolines had c4's why not those cars? my galaxie had one...

·
Registered
248 Posts
It probably has a 429 in it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Transmission has a rectangle type pan about lemme see, 11" by 14" by about 2" deep. I can take Pic a little later today.. Remember that's a guesstamate.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sounds like a C4 but if it is in that Galaxie it could very well be an FMX. I don't recall the pin in a modulator to have spring pressure on it but I do remember if you don't jack the rear end way up a lot of trans fluid will run out. I think why some people think the pin flies out is because it will stick in the modulator and then fall out later, usually a little distance from the trans. The valve it runs is not spring loaded....the modulator valve itself is and fluid pressure acts against it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't sure about the Modulator. I have changed one, a lot of years ago, so it always better to ask than be sorry. Yes, very good advicve to tilt the transmission foward! Going the other way would not be a good thing!
So, we still don't know what transmission that is in it?
Bye the way, what's an FMX?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the FMX is what the C6 replaced. it was primarily for big blocks

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
do you still have the label on the door? the one for weight, body style, color and such? wait did they had the sticker then, or was it a tag on the firewall?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
on the sticker it would have a letter under where it says 'TRANS'. it would be at the bottom of the sticker...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you can, give me the entire VIN and I can decode it for you and post the list. DSO number too if you want to know where the car first was delivered after being built.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On the door (TRNS) has an X in it .
Vin # is 0055H148972 it's a little hard to read. The title is around here "somewhere" I'll have to find it...again.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
it's a C4.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts