Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lucky son. Out in the barn I've stashed a 69,000 mile black Gen1. I have it on jack stands with the motor pulled and tore down to the short block. It still has the cross hatch in the cylinders. I pulled it to freshen the rings, bolt on a set of AFR's and throw in this lumpy cam I have, but had to sell the heads for double what I paid and kinda put the project to rest for awhile.I also have this 460 sitting on the floor, it needs everything. I always thought they should have come with a big block, but what do I know.
I guess the question is this, staying low budget, which way would you do it? 430 horse small block screamer or 430 horse parts shearing grunt mochine? I picked 430 out of the air, it seems easy to do with a 5.8 and aluminum heads, or a bbf with almost any head and some port work. Either way I'm canning the electronics, other than a duraspark and msd box. I have plenty of time to get this together, he turns 6 in june, and the reassembly won't start any time soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, u still have 10 years or so to finish and I'm sure he'll be turning wrenches with you soon if he's not already.

I just rebuilt a 351C for my dads 70 Torino. He spent $1000 total on the rebuild to include 220deg cam and Road Demon 625. Thing runs like a beast,and went together w/o a problem. It's not a 430hp motor but I'm sure with a good set of heads and an intake and digital ignition it could be there. It's just a play toy for him.

I'm partial to the 351C now. Even a 347 stroker would be nasty.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The supercharged/turboed 300 is entertaining, I used to work with a guy that built him a 300 horse 300 for a mud truck and it was unstoppable. It would fit with the towing aspect, and be completely different. THe cleveland would run its balls off, but are getting hard to find. I think the boy needs to pick a lot of dandelions to get that 521, and that's probably the way it'll go. Now to find a five speed to hold up to 600 plus and I'm in there like swimwear. Nothing but time...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Car Craft magazine built a 557 inch big block stroker making 600 hp for just under 5 grand. You already have the 460 block, I say give that a go!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd personally love to see a supercharged 351w. I have thought of getting a centrifugal kit and installing it on my 96' F250 but I don't feel like forking over the cash knowing that the life of my already troubled E4OD will be over.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Small block will be built to close to max. the BB restored would leave a lot more room for performance enhancements. If money's not in the equation here. Then go with BB.. If tight on money then SB Less to buy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i say keep the truck orig i wish i had one. i would even go as far as to put the fuel injection back in. but i do believe a supercharger would be a great help to the 351. if it was just a flareside i would have a completely different opinion but its already a lightning keep it that way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts