Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what these wheels are made of? Is it aluminum? Chrome plated steel? I’ve only seen them in pictures and my neighbor had a set when I was growing up.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
You can call them aluminum. They are certainly lighter weight than steel However it is a mix of metal.

These wheels were used on Ford Lincoln and Mercury models. The center cap is the difference. I had a set of these on a parts car. Sold the set to a guy in Detroit that restores these. I do currently have a set of these in a 14" diameter from a Versailles. The ones pictured above are 15" rims.

Action

Reactions: Onceler

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Thanks Action!
I saw a set of them online except it looked like the dished portion on a couple of them had some chunks missing. So I’m wondering how they could be repaired. If Aluminum, I imagine filling with weld and grind and polish. But I have no experience with any of that including the wheels themselves.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
I do not think they are weldable.
Scratches I think can be made good.

Chunks and dents, I would pass on that. That wheel isn't exactly the same as a steel wheel.

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Action, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a set. I like the look of them and since I recently lost a hubcap, I thought they’d be a good choice.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
This car is in Phoenix and the owner was looking to get rid of it

Action
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
I will ask.
If may be all or nothing.
But I would not be opposed to buying the car. Two things would have to happen.
I have to sell a vehicle. (And I want to sell it, however there are a couple of things I want to do first)
And my better half would have to agree.

And the vehicle has to be available.

So what I am sayin is if it is going to happen it won't be swift. Because like many things it is complicated

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
I am going to go look at this vehicle and take some better pictures.
If I decide to buy it I would part out the car.
Would you be interested in the wheels?

And know if I buy it, it will be at least 60 days before I pick it up.
Space is an issue however I have listed a vehicle for sale and it should go soon
The other factor is heat. I would be taking this apart outside. The summer in Phoenix is not the best when working outside

Action

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Action! Yes I will buy the wheels if you don’t mind dealing with the hassle of shipping. Just let me know if you get around to it. Too bad it’s not a green LTD with perfect interior, lol.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
I am a member of the local Lincoln club, This car Mark IV and the grey one behind it are owned by a guy in the Packard club. The two clubs do events together. That is how I was approached.

I have parted out 4 cars. Usually to get pieces that I can not find individually. There isn't much on this ride that I would want with an exception. That exception would be a rear stabilizer bar. That bar was not available on Mark III and was used on Mark IV. That is an upgrade I would like to make as it will be pretty close to a bolt in upgrade.

I will reach out to the guy and set a time to shoot more pics as he isn't the best with pictures.
Shipping, no problem. I have an Ebay store and ship parts all the time. I have done a set of those wheels before. to Detroit to a seller of wheels.

I will PM you and get an email address after I get pictures.

And it will be a slow process

Action

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Action, I’m interested in the steering column too, if you’d want to tackle that at some point…I assume it’s tilt and would work on a 78 Ford

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
Likely it is.

Typically I will drag it home and spend some weeks disassembling and tagging. Get rid of the frame & body. Then it is listing time.
Usually I discover alot about the car and the past life.

Action

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.