Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum, was on the old forum and then all most posts started getting deleted...neither here nor there.

My question is with regards to my wheels. I have a 2003 Windstar, new tires, brake pads, rotors and front wheel bearings....all brand new. However, I bent down to check something, felt my lug nuts and holy crap they were hot. Took the tire off and the wheel, bearing, rotor, lugs nuts, etc were way too hot to touch! Put the lug nuts on a slightly damp driveway and the sizzled.

I can't imagine this is right, it is just way too hot after a simple 2 miles test trip.

Any clues???

Thanks in advance,

Ray

P.S. Everything spins freely when off the ground, I can turn the wheels by hand with easy...so no real binding with the brakes or anything. I am at a loss.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Did you do the work, or have it done?

Did you grease the caliper pins/slides?

Overtighten the bearings?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Poppy,

I did the work.

Yes, all greased and all working fine, sliding smoothly.

Bearings were torqued to spec, both the 3 bolts through the knuckle and the one bolt on the CV shaft.

So those should both be fine.

I actually had new bearings on there and they both went bad after 2 months, maybe 500 miles. Had new tires and alignment done just as the new bearings went on, but van still pulled to the right hard afterwards...don't know if that hurt the bearings or not, but at that point I had the heat issue as well, thought it was the worn out bearings, but nope.

So now I have fresh Timkin bearings in (just in case the other brand was bad...and the Napa gal said a few had come back latey), fresh brakes and rotors all lubed up and after test driving it last night for a few miles the heat was still there - too hot to touch lug nuts after 2 miles.

Found a post from a google search about the possibility of a master cylinder check valve being a potential case as well as calipers that need to be rebuilt.

But, with it happening to both sides with all new hardward and no binding my guess would be the check valve (no other clues on my end).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Hi Poppy,

<snip>
Found a post from a google search about the possibility of a master cylinder check valve being a potential case as well as calipers that need to be rebuilt.

But, with it happening to both sides with all new hardward and no binding my guess would be the check valve (no other clues on my end).
I like it when things sound logical, and your logic is sound.
Sorry, I can't comment on the existance of a check valve, so perhaps one with more experience than me will post.

good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire wear is good, all 4 are brand new and look good. Actually took the van in to the shop today just to check, sometimes one bad tire can cause the pull to the right I'm experiencing, so we'll see...

The bearings on the 2003 are unitized, so hub/bearing assembly, non-servicable. Plus, these hub/bearings are 100% brand new Timkin's, 4 miles total on them and spinning freely and nice and tight too.

That's what bugs me, all new front end parts moving freely so the heat has me stumped!

·
Registered
534 Posts
heat

I can't imagine this is right, it is just way too hot after a simple 2 miles test trip.

Any clues???

Thanks in advance,

Ray

P.S. Everything spins freely when off the ground, I can turn the wheels by hand with easy...so no real binding with the brakes or anything. I am at a loss.
this is most likely normal, a two mile trip depending on how you drive will generate a tremendus amount of heat. if you have ever been to a roundy race track at night, observe the cars with front disc brakes, they are red hot and mostly they are just slowing down.
there is a law of physics that governs friction. any two objects that come in contact will generate heat, you are taking the force of a 3k lb vehicle and stopping it in a given distance, you will have a given amount of heat.

as a footnote, when i got my first set of cragar rims, I drove it home parked it and noticed the rotors for the first time. they were nice and shiny smooth, i touched one and singed the tips of my fingers:mad:
sorry for being long toothed but i hope this helps

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for some perspective lincolndriver! You might be right...

At this point I guess I really can't say I've ever touched the lug nuts right after any sort of trip/drive so this might just be shocking but normal.

My fear was the heat was what ate up the first set of bearings and I really don't want to get another even though warranty covered it - gun shy I guess. I'll wait and see what happens after the alignment checkup tomorrow (they didn't get to it today).

Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
hot brakes

Thanks for some perspective lincolndriver! You might be right...

At this point I guess I really can't say I've ever touched the lug nuts right after any sort of trip/drive so this might just be shocking but normal.
well if in doubt, the next time you drive somewhere, check the heat on the back brakes.do not touch, just put your hand near the lugs the fronts do 70% of the total braking power the rears do 30%. the braking system is designed to dissapate heat, but it like anything made of metal takes a little time.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
What you have is totally normal. I wear Kevlar gloves when I am working on brake parts that have been driven to test them before I get it. Too hot for bare hands. As for the check valve in the master it doesn't exist and if it did and was bad it would cause drag on the brakes. Just sayin.

·
Registered
890 Posts
also, and not saying this is what your problem is, but there is the chance that you can get a brand new part and it would be defective. ie your hub/bearings. i've heard people say to jonzo all the time, 1. how can my alternator be bad it was just rebuilt? or 2. those pads are brand new, so they're good... just a random glitch if you want to call it that... just relaying an observation...

·
Registered
184 Posts
also, and not saying this is what your problem is, but there is the chance that you can get a brand new part and it would be defective. ie your hub/bearings. i've heard people say to jonzo all the time, 1. how can my alternator be bad it was just rebuilt? or 2. those pads are brand new, so they're good... just a random glitch if you want to call it that... just relaying an observation...

so so true, just bought a new c4 pump, theey said the owner rebuilt it it can't be bad... my uncle took it apart and it was something stupid inside the bound it up...... new or rebuilt parts can be bad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fair enough, thanks for the responses guys!

I guess I was just shocked that my Windstar front end was hotter than my F250 after the same trip....

As for the bearings, who knows, probably both junk and I'm guessing that's why the Napa gal said she got quite a few of that brand back. Hopefully the Timkins will do the trick.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
FYI... In my book, if Canuck623 says it's normal, I would go with that! :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
me too, the only other thing i can think of is the proper wheel bearing grease. my son repacked his disc bearings with the same grease I used for my drum brakes. not a good thing to do. the bearings heated up,grease melted and the end result was a trip to the junkyard to find new spindles.
lession learned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts