Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my rear brake line (the one that goes along the axle), but when I try to find one, the results are either for F series trucks, or are the hoses. Does anyone have suggestion for where I can get one?

I'm going to try to change this thing with no prior experience, so please with me luck! I owe too much on repairs for the car I actually drive every day, so I have to learn to take care of the van myself as much as possible.

Thanks

·
Administrator
15,451 Posts
The hose should be easy to find and replace

The metal line a bit more difficult. Most brake line is purchased in straight lengths and bent to fit using a line bender. There is a newer line that is easier to bend and does not require tools. I have not bought that type yet so I do not have experience in using that material.

As to further suggestion, knowing the year and model would be needed.

Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding.

Sorry, I forgot to say that it's a 96 E-150 5.8 V8.

I was looking for the pre-bent line, without realizing that it's an option to just get generic straight line to bend myself.

Do you know what the more flexible stuff is called?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
auto parts stores usually carry bundiflex. ithink the nickle copper line is what is so easy to bend.
bundiflex is also easy to bend. if the line is too long you can put a loop in it. many parts places will also loan you a double flair tool, but you need to know how to use it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The repair manual for this vehicle says to not use copper. Is that an actual manufacturer direction, or just what the manual author thinks?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Brake lines are typically fabricated (cut to length, flared and bent as required.) If the line is defective, take it off and take it to an auto parts store. They may be able to help you get the correct thing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd use NiCopp from AGS. I've been buying it by the coil and flaring my own ends. They have a 51"and a 60" item that's probably close to your axle width but you probably have a tee back there which would need either two lines or have to split one and buy two ends.

I'm on my 2nd 100ft coil as I did my Bronco and my in laws F-150 which both needed every line replaced. NiCopp is easy to bend and won't rust away like steel. If you have a double flare kit you're set.

If you're concerned about durability buy the stainless steel stone guard which is a spring that protects it from damage. I did use it to reline my 64 Falcon and it looks great. For pre-bent lines you could try the stop shop or SS Tubes

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts