Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which repair manual has the best, most concise information for 78-83 Fairmonts?

Haynes
Clymer
Chiltons
Ford factory service manual
Other?

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you can get them, nothing beats the factory service manual. That being said, you probably won't find one from ford, as even the dealers probably don't have them on their reference library shelves anymore. The next best thing I have found is Mitchell on Demand, which is an internet based library, but then there is a monthly subscription fee. So to have one in hand, and not have to pay dearly for the use, I would recomend Chilton. Have used them and Motors for years, when working at home on other than fords.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I agree that the Ford service manual would be best.
I'd keep checking ebay, they do pop up now and then.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have the haynes, chilton's and the 1979 ford engine manual. the ford one is by far the best. i wish i had the whole set. out of the other two, i'd say the chilton's is a little bit better as far as the depth of information goes.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with Poppy, eBay has them on DVD from time to time too....the last one i bought covers all Ford cars and light trucks from 1996-2008, Factory Service manual for $38 shipped :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have the Haynes manual, it was in the car when I bought it, it works well enough for me, but I'd love a factory service manual if I could.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've never used the Clymer books before. but between Haynes & Chiltons. I'd give it to Haynes. Chiltons seems to be always missing things. In the past 25 years I've been buying these books. Only once did Chiltons have something in their book that Haynes didn't.. For me It's usually Haynes has the info & not Chiltons..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the chilton i have just for the fairmont, is thicker than the older book i have that covers ALL american cars from 72-79... it have Vac diagrams, Electrical Diagrams, and lots of interesting information, like exactly how an emissions system works... haynes is ok for starters, and a reference point, but other than that, they're kinda useless....

·
Registered
85 Posts
The factory Ford manuals are the best hands down. I have a Chilton's manual as well, haven't used it since I got the Ford ones. Keep you eye on ebay for them, they pop up from time to time.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i still thought it was funny that the dealership i worked at still had the manuals for these cars! and guys kept using them as reference materials...

·
Registered
248 Posts
In a well organized shop, you will have a reference library that is controlled by either the service manager or the parts department. The dealership that I worked at prior to this one, I started in 82. Was the shop foreman there for 19 years and controlled not only the reference library (which I organized) but also the special service tools. We had books that went back into the 50s and tools from the 60s. The problem with both of the items in a dealership is that sooner or later you will have a bad apple that decides he needs this stuff worse than the dealer does. I have also organized the same here, when I started in 2001, but most of their older books were already gone.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
ours were in the break room. in the obsolete section, but guys kept reading them for fox chassis mustangs. i was the only person to read it for a fairmont in the last 10 years...

·
Registered
83 Posts
thanks to this thread i scored the ford shop manual and the electrical and vacuum manual for $15.00 on ebay for my t bird. they also had a listing for the manual on dvd for $20.00

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does anyone have any input on the CD versions of the factory shop manuals? Are they just a comprehensive as the paper versions? I'm looking for my 98 F-150.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The CD version is a new version of the shop manuals and has all the updated information as to the time of the disc manufacture. So, they are a little more accurate than the shop manual. You just have to do an install when you get them, but there is an install wizard with them .

·
Registered
16 Posts
i like haynes the most, but i have all 3, and a service manual covering all domestic cars for the year of my car. like everybody said, each one has its pros and cons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a Haynes myself,of witch is about as good as John Wayne t.p..
It'll get you through some tough crap but not all of it.
It's vague in some cases, and is quick to refer you to your dealer.o
While youtube can be sometimes helpful to me, the 1st chance I get I'm buying a Chiltons.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts