Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just when I think I have this fixed something else pops up. So I walk out to move the van tonight to take the SVT out for a spin and there's water under the van, under the rear A/C lines. Once I got closer I realized it was bright green which scream anti-freeze to me.

First question, is it actually anti-freeze? It's bright green, but the coolant in the van is far from being new and I've only seen this color in new coolant.

Here it is under the van
ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6160027.jpg

Color on a rag

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6160033.jpg

Leaking from this hose fitting, which leads to the second question, is this hose going to be something I can replace, or will I have to take it to a shop?
ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6160028.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6160029.jpg

I haven't used the a/c in a couple days, but have had just the vents on, do I run the risk of this hose blowing off and loosing all the coolant in the van, or would I be safe to drive until I can repair. I don't suppose any of those stop leak products would work here (I'm hesitant to use anyway).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just went out and looked at this again, there seems to pressure on the line because the stuff is bubbling out, so this really confuses me. It by no means is gushing out, but you can see bubbles forming in the liquid at the fitting where it is leaking. I wouldn't think anti-freeze would still be pressurized in the system. Is refrigerant green?

I should mention, it seems to have a sweet smell also.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ooopps! You have an A/C leak! The greenish fluid you are capturing is the refrigerant oil, and some dye. Your refrigerant is pushing the oil out. If left alone, your A/C performance will diminish, as the refrigerant level drops. I doubt very seriously that this hose will blow off, as it is the low side, but the leak will (probably) continue to get worse until the A/C charge depletes. Consider replacing the hose with a new one, or perhaps an A/C shop might have a "work around" repair available. Although R134a is not Ozone depleting, it IS a greenhouse gas. :nono:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Great thanks for the info. I was just going to update that I mis-detected the scent, not sweet and that the liquid had an oily feel, so I started to think it was probably the oil. Also, it stops leaking when we turn the A/C on. Guess I'll have to have the wife call the mechanic tomorrow and see what this is going to cost, because I'm pretty sure that isn't a hose I can replace.

What really sucks is we haven't been able to use the rear a/c for two years because of a bad switch up front.. grr.

Don't suppose anyone knows if just that section can be replaced or does that whole line have to be?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
well you disconnect it from the clip you see on the bottom pic, if you didn't already know that. if you can trace the line back in the opposite direction, you might be able to see if there is a break anywhere else. otherwise, it looks to me like it's a one piece job...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I see what your saying with that clip. I'm thinking since the system will have to be recharged afterwards, might as well just grab the KY and bend over for the mechanic on this one. I'm not all that comfortable messing with stuff like this. I'm if it was just replace the line and be done, I wouldn't have a problem with doing it.

I'm having trouble locating the part too, there are a couple that look like possibilities but I'm thinking it's YF2525($122 via RockAuto), or it could be YF2560, both are possible canidates. I'll have to wait until tomorrow after work and see if I can get it up on ramps and trace the line and see if there is "user" friendly connection somewhere.

I have a feeling my dodging the bullet luck on an expensive repair (replacing the switch earlier) just ran out.

Unless there is someone in the Chicago area who is familiar with this kind of repair that would be willing to lend a hand.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what sucks, this still isn't fixed. No one seems to want our money too bad. Our normal mechanic hasn't called us back to give us a time to look at it yet, the shop I took it too last week to look at (like Mon. or Tues) still hasn't called back with quotes for either repair or replace. To top it off, as predicted all the 134a has now leaked out so we can't even get cool air anywhere.:incazzato: and we haven't had a single day under 80 here since this happened.

My wife is trying to get a hold of the shop that looked at it and see if they've got anything figured out yet. I'd really like to have it fixed before the 4th since we are planning a 6hr trip back to our hometown and I would like to take the van vs car because A) more room and B) I'd like to see what kind of highway mpg gain I'm seeing now that the IMRC and lean code (air leak) are fixed.

Just ranting\venting at this point.....

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So wife just called the shop, they have to replace the line so that plus recharge $483+tax, so some where in the ballpark of $525 total. Can we say where's the KY?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts