Ford Automobiles banner

Windstar Transmission Replacement

27K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  JunkyardDog 
#1 ·
About a year ago I ran across a post or website that detailed (with pictures) the replacement of a late model Windstar transmission (1999-2003). Now that I have 110K miles on my 1999 Windstar, I am concerned about lossing the transmission.

Does anyone have a link for detailed instructions for replacement of this transmission?:nonod:

#3 ·
There was one at the old forum however the member did not upload the photos to the website and had them hosted on photobucket, his photobucket account deleted the photos so all the good pictures are gone.

Dont worry about your transmission till you have problems with it cause you may blow the engine first!

#5 ·
yeah man! get some pics for sure! and sorry to hear about the trans! keep us posted!

#6 ·
Well I'm considering jumping into the trans business with my Windstar. Lost the OD in it so I'm seriously considering the overhaul myself. The trans fluid was black & I changed it about 10,000 miles ago...So the OD friction plates or what ever you want to call them are gone. Did you drop the front sub frame to remove the trans?? The book say's I have to do this. If there's a work around this procedure. That would be nice.

#7 ·
The only way to remove the transmission with out dropping the sub-frame is to grab a torch and cut away the body of the van, this can also be done with a Sawzall but you would ruin your vehicle..... but hey the sub-frame is still connected!

#8 ·
Put it on jackstands, remove the tires attach a crane to the van (make sure you don't attach it to the subframe!) lower the front of the van until the subframe is on a heavy duty dolly with caster wheels. remove the 4 subframe bolts and detach all the connections from the engine/transmission to the body of the van. Lift the body until you can slide the subframe on the dolly from under one of the wheel wells. I'm about to do it again so I will take pics fellas.

#9 ·
The pics on the other site detailed how to remove the powertrain from above. The poster had done it that way several times. The subframe was left in place and the engine/trans were lifted out of the top of the engine bay in a sort of "old time" conventional way. It seemed to work well for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.