Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Ranchero GT 460
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the connectors are falling apart, dried out from heat.
I know a lot of aftermarket companies offer wiring harnesses for older cars and truck, however, I have not seen much for Fords.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
You will find any harness you want for a Ford .... Mustang!

Those connectors look like Dura Spark II Ignition system.
Grease, oil and heat all take their toll.
Keeping them clean helps a lot.

Action

·
Registered
616 Posts
Plenty of listed kits for earlier Fairlanes and Ford trucks as well Mustangs at American Autowire.
FWIW. this outfit SEEMS to offer custom kits ($$$?)...
and Painless lists this when I punched in 1975 Ranchero; the page even has a downloadable 29 page PDF manual for you to study.
Good luck!
Kevin

Reactions: Action

·
Registered
22 Posts
I need to rewire my 1965 Gal convertible. I looked up KwikWire and while I like the harness labeling and stoutness of their product, not a fan of "universal" which usually translates into universal pain in the ass. I rewired my entire motorcycle once, years ago. I am more into get what it needs vs get what you can. Anybody have an opinion on American Autowire?

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
I do not have an experience at American Autowire.
And likely you will not for your Galaxie either.
They do list a harness for mid 1960s Ford. However only has a drop down for Fairlane, Falcon, Mustang and Truck.
For kicks I clicked on Mustang. The result was ..... "We can't find products matching the selection. "
OEM Restoration Harnesses - Harness Application Original Modified - Products | American Autowire
If the company does not make a harness for 65 Mustang, well the full sized ride owners were not even a thought.

The concept of a complete wiring harness made of quality material is great
The concept of a complete wiring harness made for the way the car is equipped is even better
All of that at a reasonable price would be a real winner.

Rarely does that exist in the classic automotive world on something other than a custom or one-off basis. And that would not align with the last point.

Action

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Anybody have an opinion on American Autowire?
As a post script to this vendor

Poking around their website I clicked on
Not exactly sure what you need?

Let us do the heavy lifting.

And found this statement -

None
General Motors vehicles retaining their original equipment, or with minor changes like an internally regulated alternator or HEI are candidates for our Factory Fit plug and play replacement parts.

American Autowire may not do a lot of Blue Oval products

Action

·
Registered
1975 Ranchero GT 460
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen products for Chevy trucks; I have a 63 C20, and I’m sure I could get an original wiring harness.
Bummer that these are not available for Fords.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
If a company was in the aftermarket classic car wiring harness business especially for pre-1970 vehicles, they should make a harness for every truck. the light truck market for that era had few to no electrical options.
Electrical options that could be found on cars of the 1960s and not on a truck
power windows - including power vent windows
power seats
power antenna
cornering lamps
Air conditioning
More than one speaker for the radio
Far fewer lights inside and outside

A light truck from that era is a rather basic vehicle. Options are more confined to body style and drive train

Action

1 - 8 of 8 Posts