Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a wrench light on, on the dash. I have no cruise control and my 4x4 button do nothing any help with be greatly helpful. No engine light no codes are being thrown.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
The CEL and codes are for the electronic engine controls.
The wrench light is about the electronic throttle control.

The electronic throttle control is a means of controlling the throttle body electronically instead of with a cable. So there is no mechanical connection between the accelertaor pedal that you press with your foot and the throttle body. It is all electronic or by wiring .
When the wrench light comes on there is an issue with the electronic throttle control.

This may help

Action

Reactions: Dominick 1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 4.0 liter motor, not the 4.6 liter. there is no issue with the motor running. would the plug wires be interfering with the tps sensor??

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
Thanks for the reply. You did not state engine size. However the electronic throttle control is the same for any engine that has that system.

It is doubtful the spark plug wires are causing interference. However it is EZ to check. Cold engine in the dark. Raise hood and fire up engine. Look around spark plug wires for any flashing. If you see flashing the spark is leaking outside the spark plug wire cable. Cleaning the spark plug wire cable may help and replacement is the best solution for that issue. Keeping the e spark plug wire cables clean and dry is always a good practice as moisture and dirt provide a path to ground for the spark.

The wrench light - This can come on because the throttle plate is sticking or there is dirt in the throttle body.
Replace the air filter if it has been some time. And get some throttle body cleaner and clean out the throttle body. It is best done by removing the throttle body and can be done with the throttle body installed. Please use throttle body cleaner, NOT carb cleaner or brake cleaner. If not removing the TB dry out with a towel and maybe a cotton swab and then let it sit for some time to evaporate the cleaner. Do inspect for any bits of towel or cotton tip pieces and remove. Depending on condition this may need to be done more than once. And check and clean as needed electrical connectors to TB and TPS

Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts