Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I am looking at purchasing I have been told it is a 65 two door wagon delivery.? It is a manual was sent model plate on car-hard to read these are the numbers
00bd.LT-00MM
The 0 are hard to read first could be a c the 7/8 number also could be 00 or cc
Can some one enlighten me please and is this a sought after car
Regards
John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Wood Motor vehicle Art Automotive exterior Glass
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Font Gas Tints and shades Tree Liquid
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle door

Welcome to the Forum
Is It Falcon?1965 Ford and Mercury Identification
This is for Full size Ford and Merc
Thankyou what is Mercury indentification it looks like side windows have been fritter in back side panels or is that original sorry I am as green as they come my mate going to help me to restore we’re there a lot made appreciate your input
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there I am looking at purchasing I have been told it is a 65 two door wagon delivery.? It is a manual was sent model plate on car-hard to read these are the numbers
00bd.LT-00MM
Regards
John
I will have to get the guy I am buying off to take pick off those numbers he only sent attached the model

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 49641 View attachment 49642 View attachment 49643 View attachment 49644 View attachment 49645 View attachment 49646

Thankyou what is Mercury indentification it looks like side windows have been fritter in back side panels or is that original sorry I am as green as they come my mate going to help me to restore we’re there a lot made appreciate your input
Sorry I just realised the link on my phone gone to iPad will try read it
It will take a lot off work I have mates that are welders painters going to look at a 4 poster to lift it and get trolley stands once stripped to move around I just haven’t seen many off these sorry smashing you with all off this in this condition in your opition what would I expect to pay for this car as is I made offer to owners son of 2.5 k is that to much or worth more don’t want to loose it it just looks unusual I have the bug I helped my mate restore a Xb with a 400 engine we found we did in my shed and the space is free lol

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

I assume you are in Australia as the warranty plate says Ford of Australia.
Pretty sure that is a 1965 or 1966 Australian Ford Falcon commercial sedan delivery. Which has been modified by installing windows in the back. A regular wagon had 5 doors.
Which is the last year or version of the first generation Falcon.
The second generation was a XR.
It was made in Australia at one of two plants in Australia. (And one in New Zealand)
Which means it is NOT an import, it was built there.
And that country had their own indentification system.

The picture of the plate you posted may be just data and not the serial number or VIN
This website may help
Ford Falcon Identification (uniquecarsandparts.com.au)

Action

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Was the date you posted on the passengers side or drivers side?

Action

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
If this is a sedan delivery, pretty sure this was made in lower numbers.
Most copies will be in poor shape and have high miles or kms because they were designed for commercial use.
May have few to zero options or optional equipment. With based engine and transmission to keep the cost low. If it was possible the tires, brakes and suspension may be heavy duty to meet the commercial use.
Finding body parts for the section behind the front doors will be difficult. But may be rather simple to make.

Action

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
If you do buy it don't be a stranger. Post more pictures and keep us informed of the work.
Would be exciting to see a car restoration from down under.

Action

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If this is a sedan delivery, pretty sure this was made in lower numbers.
Most copies will be in poor shape and have high miles or kms because they were designed for commercial use.
May have few to zero options or optional equipment. With based engine and transmission to keep the cost low. If it was possible the tires, brakes and suspension may be heavy duty to meet the commercial use.
Finding body parts for the section behind the front doors will be difficult. But may be rather simple to make.

Action
Yes it has only done 98 k on clock and has been sitting in a shed for 25 yrs a bit off a find

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
While this vehicle is not in the best of shape, I think it may be significant in the Australian Falcon history.
It will cost a bit to get it restored, however I do not think that will be complex as the car was not complex to start with.

It does not fit into a go fast ride like US Mustang, nor is it luxury as a Lincoln or a Mercedes that was imported there but it has some significance as a unique ride of the period.

May not be cheap to fix up and this hobby has gotten rather spendy as of late

Action

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you do buy it don't be a stranger. Post more pictures and keep us informed of the work.
Would be exciting to see a car restoration from down under.

Action
For sure I will be relying on members help along the way unsure what this will be worth restored it has the original motor do you think a car with these specs should keep stock or do you think worth more with a v8 engine maybe a Windsor or worth more with motor and clean it up I have looked on line in USA to import and engine 302 Windsor 5k us about 8k au plus export cost and import duties may be 10k
Have looked at a rebuild second hand motor in australia I will be be asking members what will fit in this car without penotrating bonnett and type off gear box wether manual or auto better for value resale

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
My guess would be the cost of dropping in a small block will not be recoupled unless you keep for a decade or so.

That six came in 3 flavors for that period. 144, 170 & 200 CID.
Has been known to run for a very long time! Very
It is rather simple and easy on fuel and maintenance.
With the 98k on it rebuilding may not be needed. Just a careful bringing back to life.

The stick would be a much better arrangement for the six banger. The automatic may be a 2 speed and sucked a lot of HP to get the vehicle moving. That 2 speed automatic was not much to behold. Assuming it has that.

Given the purpose of the vehicle and being a non-US car likely it is a 3 speed manual. Again the manual transmission will last a very long time as long as it was not abused.

The car was parked for a reason. That reason may be lost at this point. If it was because of a mechanical issue, that might be good to know.

Action

Reactions: Dominick 1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My guess would be the cost of dropping in a small block will not be recoupled unless you keep for a decade or so.

With the 98k on it rebuilding may not be needed. Just a careful bringing back to life.

The stick would be a much better arrangement for the six banger. The automatic may be a 2 speed and sucked a lot of HP to get the vehicle moving. That 2 speed automatic was not much to behold. Assuming it has that.

Given the purpose of the vehicle and being a non-US car likely it is a 3 speed manual. Again the manual transmission will last a very long time as long as it was not abused.

The car was parked for a reason. That reason may be lost at this point. If it was because of a mechanical issue, that might be good to know.

Action
Thanks for that info today I get interior pics will post we have a company here in ausstralia

Action
the car has window put in we’re the flat side panels are was that factory just Australia or they have been added would you know

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Pretty sure those windows were added at some point.

The vehicle was a sedan delivery. By definition the sides behind the doors would have been all metal.

If it was a wagon it would have windows behind the doors. Except there would have been 4 doors not 2.

That is a unique feature for a sedan delivery vehicle. Two doors in a wagon like body style and the back end of the vehicle would be for moving things to be delivered. So solid metal on the sides behind the doors.

Automotive History: The Sedan Delivery | Curbside Classic

Action

·
Registered
15 Posts
00bd.LT-00MM
Regards
John
I don't get on this thread often. Welcome down under! THAT is a great find. Action is a GREAT source. I read and "listen" allot. He "KNOWS". I've got a 63 Sprint. Had it going on 53 years. If you purchase this, you may find the VIN stamped in upper fendor well's under the hood line of bolts holding the fendors on. both sides. (yes, you must unbolt the fendors to find them. Sounds crazy, but that is where the 63 had it's VIN hidden. (US made) Also, on my 63, the VIN was stamped on the left side of the engine compartment, up high, just before it goes under the fendor bolt line. Might be there under some raised paint & rust. Good luck!!

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
^^^^ I think Steven is posting about the sheet metal in the area circled in the attached.
I am more versed in full sized Ford & Mercury serial number locations than mid-sized. I do not think Australia got full size only mid-size.

I want to add, (to my post #10) if you do buy this, would really enjoy your story of the restoration. With pictures of course!

Action
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk Gas

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes i will keep every one posted i am taking a couple off mates with me out west and top nth weekend after next going over night ,the man i am buying it off is not available this week end the suspence it feels like when was waiting for my first born to come into the world lol i gave him a deposit as was really worried i would get beaten at the post has happened many times before just had that happen with my youngest daughter she just graduated and bought her a car was half way there 100 k trip and they tell me some one else has paid more money no loyotity off position any more i am a hand shake man these days it is cut throat the person i am buying the car off was so insecure about me that he wont give me the addrees of the cars location till days before i come dont blame him this is what sosienty has become miss trust well a least i know i wont get beaton at the post i think it has a 170 motor in it in australia i was amzed that i found companies like rarespares.com.au that stock so many repo parts for this age car there really isnt much i cant get and pricing is great my dream is to own a red mustang convertable 68 in australia these fetch as much as 90 k au thats 140 kus wife says keep dreamimg this car can be a stepping stone towards that goal.i do go on talk alot i really do appreciate those inputs to what i am trying to achieve it is like a bus ride just keep picking up new people along the way .the pics i have off this xp show roof rust is going to be my biggest nightmare if anyone has any links or videos to help out would appreciate it if i find that the 170 motor is no good do you guys recon i should keep original and rebuild the 170 or step up to a motor like a 302 windsor a mate has an xb 74 and we found a big block 400 rare motor in australia and put that in her sounds cool needs a different cam it is getting bogged down thats another on going mates project.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts