Ford Automobiles banner

941 - 960 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #942
Yeah, that's easy to forget sometimes, haha. I look at it pretty much like I'm working on an '89-93 5.0L HO with modifications.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Yeah, that's easy to forget sometimes, haha. I look at it pretty much like I'm working on an '89-93 5.0L HO with modifications.
That' the reason I posted the Video above
But I think that fellow is lost also
I did learn something by searching
Some of the wiring harnesses are different
not so much on 89-93 but the earlier 5.0 Gts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #944
I wish I had a smoke machine to make it easier to look for vacuum leaks. I really don't like the idea of spraying carb cleaner everywhere on my nice painted engine. I feel like it would take that paint right off.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I wish I had a smoke machine to make it easier to look for vacuum leaks. I really don't like the idea of spraying carb cleaner everywhere on my nice painted engine. I feel like it would take that paint right off.
I wonder that if Auto Zone has a rental

·
Registered
6,898 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #947
I know you can do that, haha. I don't really want to smoke a cigar though.

As far as I can tell, Autozone has them (or can get them), but not to be loaned out. Brew2l has a how to make a smoke machine video, but you need this one kind of high resistance wire you'd need to order online. I might still do it, we'll see. These engines are notorious for vacuum leaks.

I happened to have some MAF cleaner in my cabinet. I tried it. Didn't change anything.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I know you can do that, haha. I don't really want to smoke a cigar though.

As far as I can tell, Autozone has them (or can get them), but not to be loaned out. Brew2l has a how to make a smoke machine video, but you need this one kind of high resistance wire you'd need to order online. I might still do it, we'll see. These engines are notorious for vacuum leaks.

I happened to have some MAF cleaner in my cabinet. I tried it. Didn't change anything.
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts
Propane is a different way.
Propane let out in a stream picked up or sucked in by a vacuum leak will cause a change in engine RPM.

Action

Reactions: ZephyrEFI

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #951
I'm going through another annual ritual right now with the car project. I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that the car has to be taken apart again. Probably down to a good week's work away from being driveable. I said at the beginning of this season I'd put things together in the hope I could drive and enjoy it for a while before I tackle the new h-pipe and cats project. But the car had other plans, I guess.

ai.imgur.com_rchvZBt.jpg

The h-pipe has to come out to pull the transmission anyway, so I might as well go ahead and do that project after putting the trans back in. I don't know, we'll see. I have a few more things to try before I give up on fixing the idle problem. I hesitate to install cats when the car isn't running right though. I don't want to wreck them.

If I pull the trans though, I can maybe try some more things to get the clutch components' geometry better. And I can see if the problem getting into gear is internal somehow, and check the thrust. I bought a gasket for the shifter joint where it attaches to the housing so I don't have to keep using RTV there, and then not want to take it back off to ease installation of the trans after that.

Anyway, there are no car shows this year to miss, so I might as well. Although it's sounding like my favorite show, Street Machine Nationals seems to have found a way around all the red tape and is currently a go. Maybe it won't take me the whole month, hahaha. that was a good one. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts
Kuston Kars
Getting it right is not easy.
If it was everyone would have a perfect car.

>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I agree with Action
Looks good sounds great
But the most dependable one is the Tow Truck

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Give yourself a break, your working with allot of old blended technology and it takes time to sort out.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #955
Thanks all. I cut my thumb bad enough to go to after hour urgent care on a slap chop, so I'm taking a break whether I like it or not.

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts
Ouch!

Get healthy!

>>>>Action

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Did you wife thump you on the head for it? Lol

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #960
Hey, remember my tangent from last year about wanting a compass/temp/backup camera mirror? A like-minded friend happened to install one on his Zephyr. He found one on ebay that is a complete kit, so I wouldn't have to track down a correct module or sensor or whatever. It's a GM application, but I don't think anyone will know, haha.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Gentex-Auto-Tint-COMPLETE-SYSTEM-Rearview-Mirror-Compass-Temp/133327497319?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

No back-up camera, but those kits were pretty expensive anyway, haha.

Don't judge me! I need something to look forward to! haha

941 - 960 of 1000 Posts