13,294 Posts
Will you use PPE to install?

>>>>Action

Reactions: ZephyrEFI

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #964
Alright, so I have reason to be optimistic. I did some more asking around, and I believe that I have the wrong MAF on the car. Putting the right one on should really help, I hope. From what I know, you really don't want the wrong MAF. I currently have a F2VF one, which is a Town Car application among others, and what I want is an F1SF.

I did some more diagnosis on the car. I did a smoke test, and actually came up with nothing, much to my surprise. No vacuum leaks, nothing that i screwed up during re-assembly. The distributor timing does seem to be correct too.

As for the clutch, I found some really valuable information about the geometry of the clutch fork. Something i can actually reference, and not just a "try this and see if it helps" kind of thing. Nothing worse than groping blindly at a solution.

ai.imgur.com_QhvySzO.jpg

ai.imgur.com_JAZsNqE.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts
Incorrect MAF will mess up air fuel ratios
What is normal for one system is out of bounds at least some times for another.

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #966
Yeah. I'm really hope this helps a lot.

Looked at my clutch fork today through the bellhousing hole. It's hard to tell if it has the problem from the orange sheet since the clutch fork is kind of shaped like a wave. As far as I can tell it's aimed in the right direction. I think I'm still going to shim the pivot ball stud though.

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #969
SIGH here we go again.

And shut up about my rat's nest. I like it that way! haha

ai.imgur.com_iS5b30l.jpg

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #971
I received the reman Cobra MAF and installed it, but I can't start the engine while the trans project is going, so no news on that yet. I'm waiting on my wife to be around so I can pull the trans without dropping on myself, but she's worked the last 3 days all day. She's off tomorrow though.

Decided to work on a little side project since the dash was partly taken apart. This blemish on the dash pad has always bothered me. And the original dash pad is starting to get a little droopy.

ai.imgur.com_BW4a4nR.jpg

When I was selling Focus parts, one guy paid with a CJ Pony gift card, so I used the opportunity to grab a new dash pad.

ai.imgur.com_2nNPU1q.jpg

It's a pretty nice piece, but the shape isn't quite right and I had to oval one of the stud holes to make it line up better.

ai.imgur.com_xQaJ3TM.jpg

But no more blemish! And now I know how to take out these vent bezels. It might not be that easy to tell in pictures, but my natural black dash has lived a hard life. One of these days I might remove the vent bezels at the outer corners and repaint them. There's another white spot on the driver's side below the vent (how the hell did that happen?!) and other discolored spots. I don't think the whole dash needs it, but those corners for sure. I just wish for a day when all the problems with the running gear on this car are solved so I can focus on the more fun stuff like that. I used to think I was close to having that, but then this year happened. Ugh

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts
Nice work!

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #974
Current status:

ai.imgur.com_0WrdP1O.jpg

Had a b***h of a time getting it apart because I used silicone sealant last year, and then this happened:

ai.imgur.com_PPUe7qu.jpg

In the world of T-5s, that BAD, VERY BAD. The shift forks got all out of alignment, so I gave it a valiant effort to get it righted, but ended up taking it to a friend of mine. While there, he checked over the transmission too, and says everything looks great. Apparently it was rebuilt with Motive gears and other hefty stuff, so it's all ready for abuse. That was good to hear. But that's done, so now we move on to the next thing, fixing the clutch geometry.

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts
^^^^ You do know that is supposed to in the car not on a bench! :D

>>>>Action

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #979
Enough of this crap already! Get that thing back together and drive the he'll out of it
You're tellin' me. I WAS planning on just driving it this year. But then the stupid clutch wouldn't work properly and the engine wouldn't idle.

Of course, I was planning on having the option of going to car shows this year too. Ugh.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
You're tellin' me. I WAS planning on just driving it this year. But then the stupid clutch wouldn't work properly and the engine wouldn't idle.

Of course, I was planning on having the option of going to car shows this year too. Ugh.
Keep at it
The year is not over

961 - 980 of 1000 Posts