Ford Automobiles banner

981 - 1000 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #981
I plan to, thanks.

Clearing this hurdle with the stupid transmission has been good for my attitude.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
Well, the stupid transmission gave me a few more hurtles. Several, in fact. The top didn't want to go back on without seizing the output shaft. A key had fallen out, the shift shaft was installed upside down.... it was just super fun.

Right now, I'm back on the clutch problem. We think that some of the clutch pedal action is being eaten up somewhere it shouldn't be, like firewall flex. I've got a template ready to go for a firewall reinforcement panel. I've also removed the clutch pedal height adjuster. It takes away some of your range of movement, and we need all we can get right now. Especially considering it did not fix the pedal slop problem I bought it to fix. Ugh. As for how to set up the clutch fork/pivot ball stud relationship, that seems to be a trial and error sort of thing. I need to block out a whole day for that, and I just haven't had it to spare. I bought an adjustable pivot ball stud though, and I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Keep at it
You will get it
You were saying earlier that your firewall was flexing
The older Ford pickups had that same problem and Ford came out with a reinforcement on them
You may be on to something

·
Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
Well, the stupid transmission gave me a few more hurtles. Several, in fact. The top didn't want to go back on without seizing the output shaft. A key had fallen out, the shift shaft was installed upside down.... it was just super fun.

Right now, I'm back on the clutch problem. We think that some of the clutch pedal action is being eaten up somewhere it shouldn't be, like firewall flex. I've got a template ready to go for a firewall reinforcement panel. I've also removed the clutch pedal height adjuster. It takes away some of your range of movement, and we need all we can get right now. Especially considering it did not fix the pedal slop problem I bought it to fix. Ugh. As for how to set up the clutch fork/pivot ball stud relationship, that seems to be a trial and error sort of thing. I need to block out a whole day for that, and I just haven't had it to spare. I bought an adjustable pivot ball stud though, and I'm hoping for the best.
Wow...just wow. Just won't be easy going for you. Keep up the fight. You will win

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #986
Transmission is back in the car for the first time in months. I got the firewall reinforcement done, and did my pivot stud adjusting. I think I've got everything all good to go. I'm definitely seeing quite a bit more travel at the clutch fork, and the pedal feels WAY better than it did.

I didn't have much time today, but the weather is CRAZY humid. All I really wanted to do was get the trans up in there and then escape into the air conditioning. I'm so sick of this damn heat.

I'm very hopeful though.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I'm glad you are making progress
It's been a weird year
Lord willing the next year will be better for all of us

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #989
Yesterday was a tough day.

I started it with for the first time in months. It had open headers so it scared the hell out of my daughter, haha. I decided it was the trans and clutch were probably okay so I could proceed with reinstalling the h-pipe. With that done, I started the car again. It immediately resumed rolling idle. Maybe even worse this time. I guess the replacement MAF made no difference whatsoever. I don't remember what I left the timing at, so I thought I would warm the engine up to operating temp so I could check it. Ran for a while. Then I noticed some smoke under the hood. My heater core failed.

I don't think it came out of nowhere though, which would have possibly indicated the car is possessed, otherwise cursed, or has a personal vendetta against me. I left the heater hoses hooked up to the heater core while the transmission was out, so the engine was leaning back all summer probably putting uneven pressure on the heater core. What can I say, I just didn't want to drain the radiator again for the bajillionth time so I guess I rolled the dice and lost.

I think I got one of the last copper core Motorcraft units the last time I bought one. They can't be found anywhere now, which p***es me off as much as anything. I guess I'm stuck with one of the insta-fail aluminum units.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #992
Yeah, maybe. I don't know. No experience with that.

Radiator Express does offer a brass/copper one for "early" F/Z that seems to look like the right part for my 1990 Mustang heater box/dash. No way to know for sure without buying it though. I'd hate to end up with something that won't work. I've heard of a few pretty weird differences with the early '78s. I don't know. Radiator Express's part for the 1990 Mustang does picture a copper one, but the description says it's aluminum. Tricksters.

I ordered one from LMR in the hopes they at least offer a decent one. I've heard too many horror stories about parts store Fox heater cores. Ugh. I guess maybe I'll hold on to my old one and see about having it fixed at my leisure. Only so much non-Winter in a year.... Some freaks are ALREADY talking about putting their cars away.

It's looking like I'll be losing my damn refrigerant too when I do this. So that blows too. Hopefully I didn't f*** up my A/C system too.

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts
If there is refrigerant in the system the AC (Evaporator) is still good.

Action

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #994
Yeah. Some of that smoke I saw might have been refrigerant escaping. I'll have to see.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
Well, I'm just a good citizen of Earth today. I had the A/C company come and reclaim my refrigerant. That way too he was able to tell my system is intact, so I don't have to go nuts wondering if I need a new evaporator or have a leak elsewhere in the A/C system. I have the replacement heater core at home, so I'm ready to do the job. Just have to get the time to do it. The school year starts next week, so I'll be busy with work again too.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Well, I'm just a good citizen of Earth today. I had the A/C company come and reclaim my refrigerant. That way too he was able to tell my system is intact, so I don't have to go nuts wondering if I need a new evaporator or have a leak elsewhere in the A/C system. I have the replacement heater core at home, so I'm ready to do the job. Just have to get the time to do it. The school year starts next week, so I'll be busy with work again too.
I always wondered what kind of job you had
Have a good time

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #998
I got started on the (further) disassembly yesterday for the heater core job. I think I might try to redo the top mounts to raise the dash up a bit. It sits a little low, and that's always bothered me.

This season is ending just like last season did. A lot of frustration and disappointment. I've had to overcome that to get motivated to turn wrenches on the car. It's probably a bit early to say I won't get any seat time this year, but if that did happen it wouldn't bother me as much as it would have a month ago. We'll see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
13,294 Posts
The year had other obstacles as well.

Take the time to do it right. Make the plan and work the plan
You will get dialed in!!!!

Action

Reactions: ZephyrEFI
981 - 1000 of 1000 Posts