Ford Automobiles banner

1001 - 1020 of 1027 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,001 ·
Slowly chipping away at it.

The old heater core is out now. The foam on the sides of the blend door was SOAKED, so I had to give that some time to dry. At least I feel like I have better access to clean out the heater box pulled out, rather than dealing with it in the car.

Looks like I only kept at it through the end of October last year, so that gives me a good idea how much more time I have this year.

·
Super Moderator
14,842 Posts
I hope the COVID thing goes away soon.
Lots of gatherings start happening here for the next 6 months.
Some in October have been cancelled.

Action

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,005 ·
Yeah, it's not fun. I've had to do it many, many times for various reasons though.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,007 ·
We can probably call the heater core job done. The heater box is back in and everything is hooked back up. I put the car on stands for the winter. The fact that the stupid rolling idle is still there just kind of ruined any enjoyment I might've gotten out of getting it all put back together in time for a drive. Yes, I could've done it, but it would run like crap anyway. I'm certainly not up to tackling a whole other problem this season. I need that spring motivation for that. Autumn me is just tired of being kicked while I'm down by this thing.

·
Super Moderator
14,842 Posts
Warm to hot engine, rolling idle is usually due to air fuel mixture being off.
The PCM changes the fuel charge to compensate for a condition. And the idle speed goes too high so the PCM backs off which goes back to the original condition and the cycle repeats.

Typical issues are
unmetered air getting into the engine either up or down stream from throttle body. Down stream is called a vacuum leak. Which can also be a PCV system leaking. Upstream issues can be a MAF sensor issue or a IAT sensor in OBDII applications.
Or O2 sensors are old or sending slow signals to PCM
Or EGR valve not seated closed at idle
To a lesser extent dirty air filter and/or fuel filter can be an issue as well.

Action

Reactions: Stymees'mont

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
You have an altered system
What does your code say they are not fool proof
I had an air bag light come on and all it was was a loose connection under the drivers seat

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,012 ·
I was digging around behind the intake (a tight space with the engine moved back), and the PCV hose MAY have been loose. Or I might have knocked it loose when I was milling around back there looking for vacuum leaks. So I guess I'm not 100% sure it will have the rolling idle. That would've been a pretty major vacuum leak. I'd found that before I did the heater core job. So, I have not started the engine with the PCV hose definitely installed.

My system is 1993 OBD 1. It's for a Cobra. The intake, heads, injectors, and MAF (reman) are all the ones a Cobra computer would be expecting.

The air filter and fuel filter are new. I THINK the O2 sensors are new also. The EGR valve is PRETTY new.

I'm planning on making a smoke machine 2.0 without the issues my first one had to recheck for vacuum leaks when I get to that point.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,013 ·
I'm gearing up to get started on the car again. We've had SOME nice weather, but overall it's been crappy and cold all month. Last weekend was nice, but I had some house projects I needed to do. Those are mostly done now, except the ones I've slated for after I put the car back together.

I've been studying tuning with the Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. I really knew absolutely nothing about that stuff before the past year or so. I'm starting to consider that my idle problem may not be something mechanical. Yes, I chose the X3Z because of the Cobra engine's closeness to my components, but I guess it is still possible that it's just not close enough to run well. The pistons (compression ratio), ported heads and intake, P combustion chambers, the cam specs... those things and probably many more are still different from what it's expecting. It might just all add up.

I'm getting braver about the idea of tuning too. I could imagine digging yourself into a deep, deep hole once you start changing things too much or changing things you shouldn't. I've dug plenty a deep hole for myself on other things I've done. But really, you can always go back to a stock tune file if you think that's starting to happen. Not much risk at all, really.

·
Super Moderator
14,842 Posts
It is a one of a kind Zephyr now.
Dig deep my friend, you might strike it rich.

Action

Reactions: ZephyrEFI

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,016 ·
Thanks.

"Rich" in my book would be being able to jump in and drive it whenever I want. Properly working drivetrain, brakes, and suspension. I sure hope I get there this year.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,017 ·
Well, I live.

I've been dealing with a LOT of pests lately. I've had birds in my bathroom fan vents (ALL THREE OF THEM), aggressive birds under the deck that won't let me at my lawn equipment, a damn mouse in the garage... and my stupid irrigation system leaks. Homeownership isn't all it's cracked up to be sometimes. The mouse is the worst part. We still haven't defeated that one. I'm just waiting for him to get into one of the cars and destroy the interior. Ugh. Stupid pest service can't get here for FOUR DAYS. You know how much damage a mouse can do in 4 days?! I put out a bunch of traps myself, but nothing yet.

I did get out there and work on the car for a while Sunday. I got the dash sitting up on the lip under the windshield (which it wasn't before), but I still have to create 2 more mounting points. Admittedly, I had the '87-93 dash sitting in there sort of [email protected] before (ssshhhhhhhhhh). I want to do it right this time. I'm doing this all by myself which makes it fun hefting a dash around. My wife is about the only person who can help me, and she works a LOT, so the stars really have to align for me to get her help.

But then I need to reassemble the rest of the interior and hook all the wiring back up. I really hate dealing with that '87-93 center console. It's such a pain in the @ss. I'll go to almost any length to avoid taking it out.

·
Super Moderator
14,842 Posts
I thought you fell off the side of the planet!!

Action

Reactions: ZephyrEFI

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,020 ·
I'm still here, haha. I fixed my irrigation system last night, so I can check that off the list. Still have no proof I'm free of the mouse though. Pest service is coming today, so they'd better come through or they're gettin' the boot!

I'm starting to get excited for car season. There's a great all-Ford show coming up weekend after next. I'm not going to push too hard to get the Zephyr there, but I'm just excited to go at all. It's always a great show, and I don't have to see a single Chevy, haha. Last year was rough with everything cancelled, but it did take the pressure off to fix the problems I was having with the car, so there's that.

I have a lot of hope for the tuning process. I think I have what I need now, so it's just a matter of putting the car together and doing it.

1001 - 1020 of 1027 Posts