Ford Automobiles banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you please post a link on how to do it properly without pulling everything? A couple different posts said that you don't have to pull out the airbag and all the other stuff, but I would like a link to alternative instructions for replacing the sensor. Please .......

·
Registered
1 Posts
My experience may help keep more of these vehicles on the road:

I recently lost my power steering immediately after test driving my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. I had just changed the steering knuckle for the 2nd time (a former Ford Mechanic suggested that) after I changed the worn out tie-rod ends and lower front ball joints to tighten up the front end (It had a clunk while going around corners which was largely going away as I changed the tie-rod ends and ball joints.)

Both he and a friend of his tried scanning it with their scanners but could not see any codes. I then took the vehicle in to Ford for diagnostics somewhat at their suggestion. Ford found that it had a code for the torque sensor (apparently their scanner is better or has more access than the two mechanics).

I contacted Dorman about the torque sensor. They said that they discontinued it. I did find the part online at autoplicity for $137. ...if Dorman is no longer supplying this part, someone else must be supplying it to Ford or it may be a new part.

Ford attempted to fix it with the torque sensor which got the power steering back but the steering wheel would spin all of the way to the right as others in this forum have described. By then I was into it for ~$1000. At that time, the mechanic recommended replacing the entire steering column. He pointed out that the Escape's electric power steering is right there in the column next to the torque sensor and suggested that the steering assist motor was bad ( I plan to dissect it). I ended up with a $1600 repair bill total (after adjustments) for the new column. We worked the numbers out and by then it was about the same for the new column vs installing a salvaged column.

Hindsight being 20/20, as soon as Ford had diagnosed this issue, my lowest cost course of action would have been to:
  • Order a used steering column from a salvage yard (One nationwide salvage yard identified one within 500 miles with keys in it for $190...~$100 less than ford's price for their torque sensor and could have had it delivered in 2-4 days).
Doing the above would have set me back a couple hundred dollars for the rental car and a Saturday of my weekend if I had put it in myself...or I expect a fraction of the mechanics time.

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience. It may help others.

And welcome to the FFO!

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts

I recently lost my power steering immediately after test driving my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. I had just changed the steering knuckle for the 2nd time (a former Ford Mechanic suggested that) after I changed the worn out tie-rod ends and lower front ball joints to tighten up the front end (It had a clunk while going around corners which was largely going away as I changed the tie-rod ends and ball joints.)

Both he and a friend of his tried scanning it with their scanners but could not see any codes. I then took the vehicle in to Ford for diagnostics somewhat at their suggestion. Ford found that it had a code for the torque sensor (apparently their scanner is better or has more access than the two mechanics).

I contacted Dorman about the torque sensor. They said that they discontinued it. I did find the part online at autoplicity for $137. ...if Dorman is no longer supplying this part, someone else must be supplying it to Ford or it may be a new part.

Ford attempted to fix it with the torque sensor which got the power steering back but the steering wheel would spin all of the way to the right as others in this forum have described. By then I was into it for ~$1000. At that time, the mechanic recommended replacing the entire steering column. He pointed out that the Escape's electric power steering is right there in the column next to the torque sensor and suggested that the steering assist motor was bad ( I plan to dissect it). I ended up with a $1600 repair bill total (after adjustments) for the new column. We worked the numbers out and by then it was about the same for the new column vs installing a salvaged column.

Hindsight being 20/20, as soon as Ford had diagnosed this issue, my lowest cost course of action would have been to:
  • Order a used steering column from a salvage yard (One nationwide salvage yard identified one within 500 miles with keys in it for $190...~$100 less than ford's price for their torque sensor and could have had it delivered in 2-4 days).
Doing the above would have set me back a couple hundred dollars for the rental car and a Saturday of my weekend if I had put it in myself...or I expect a fraction of the mechanics time.

I'm having trouble with my 2008 escape, the steering wheel is shaking like crazy and they won't fux it at any ford center because they say the recall job was already done, but they only reprogram the computer instead of changing the torque sensor. They told me they didn't have the codes before so they only prevented it with the computer reprogram. Now they won't cover it because it was a 2 years ago and they say I have to pay it. Can anyone help me to find a way to fix it without having to pay the 1,200 they want to charge me??????

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
Getting the fix paid for is going to be difficult.

The recall updates the programing or they replace the steering gear as I understand it. Two years after the recall was done and getting repairs is not likely to happen. You can reach out to the dealer that did the recall or to Ford.

In my opinion, don't get your expectations up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts

The recall updates the programing or they replace the steering gear as I understand it. Two years after the recall was done and getting repairs is not likely to happen. You can reach out to the dealer that did the recall or to Ford.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
How do 8

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
how do I find the dealer that did the recall ????

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
"how do I find the dealer that did the recall ????"

If you did not own the vehicle at the time the recall was done, that information is not available.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

I am going to ask a huge favor of everyone.

Let me start off by saying I have no mechanic experience other than changing my own oil or changing tires. I am a active duty Marine currently stationed in a European country where my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid was never sold. There is a very small Ford Dealership in the city that I live in that seem to have competent mechanics and do good work for a reasonable price. My Escape started having the issues described in this post. At random the steering wheel will lock due to the power steering failing. It will take a lot of my strength to push the wheel past the lock out and then power steering will engage again. This doesn't happen all the time but often enough I am worried of it causing an accident for my wife.

Being stationed in Europe with an American market vehicle poses a difficult problem to fix this. Right now my plan is to order the parts and have the dealership put them in. Most of the posts here talk about just ordering a whole steering rack from a salvage website. I do have a DPO (Diplomatic Post) mailing address which allows me to ship unique things that can't normally be shipped to European addresses from the States, but it is limited on size.

The help I am asking for is could someone assist me in picking out the right part that I should order from a site such as http://www.car-part.com/ or any others that you recommend?

Thank you in advance for all replies and any advice.

-Gunny

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Hello!

I am going to ask a huge favor of everyone.

Let me start off by saying I have no mechanic experience other than changing my own oil or changing tires. I am a active duty Marine currently stationed in a European country where my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid was never sold. There is a very small Ford Dealership in the city that I live in that seem to have competent mechanics and do good work for a reasonable price. My Escape started having the issues described in this post. At random the steering wheel will lock due to the power steering failing. It will take a lot of my strength to push the wheel past the lock out and then power steering will engage again. This doesn't happen all the time but often enough I am worried of it causing an accident for my wife.

Being stationed in Europe with an American market vehicle poses a difficult problem to fix this. Right now my plan is to order the parts and have the dealership put them in. Most of the posts here talk about just ordering a whole steering rack from a salvage website. I do have a DPO (Diplomatic Post) mailing address which allows me to ship unique things that can't normally be shipped to European addresses from the States, but it is limited on size.

The help I am asking for is could someone assist me in picking out the right part that I should order from a site such as http://www.car-part.com/ or any others that you recommend?

Thank you in advance for all replies and any advice.

-Gunny
Call this number1-800-922-7213

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I've been going through the same situation with my 2010 escape. Just FYI, after I did some digging into the recall, the software update was only to install a safety alert system that would chime and display an error message to warn you before the error was going to occur. It does not fix the problem.

I have replaced the torque sensor, took it to the dealer and they told me the calibration didnt work because it's a "sensitive" part. They worked on a different car and replaced the torque sensor 5 times before it took. I have taken out the new torque sensor.

I finally bought a scrap yard column, and replaced the lower half. It works perfectly. Dont deal with the dealer, I luckly only spent $450 figuring it out. (200 to the dealer in 2 diagnostic visits, 150 for the torque sensor and 100 for a steering column) Go to the scrap yard and replace the lower column. That works.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
Thanks for your input!!!!

And welcome to the FFO!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few weeks ago, the power steering sensor (steering wheel position sensor) began acting up. It began with the "phantom" shake, and the progressively got worse as time went on, until the electric power steering would only occasionally work and often shut off while driving.

I did many hours of research and it seemed that the only fix for this was to replace the entire steering column (many having reported a $1500 dealership repair). That was, until I found the Dorman replacement sensor which reduced the price of this repair to $155.

I was unable to find any How-To's on this, So I dove into it myself and thought I would post one here.

The part number is Dorman 905-524. Purchased new on ebay for $154.60. Total time to complete: 1 hour. You will notice some extra wires in my photos due to my remote starter.

You will need:
A Basic Socket Set.
A Torx Bit Socket (I forget the size, just buy a set).
A set of large snap ring pliers
A flat head screwdriver
The replacement sensor
A steering wheel puller (free tool rental at autozone)

Dorman How to manual: http://www.dormanproducts.com/digitalassets/document/905-524_IS.PDF

1. Disconnect the negative lead on your battery. You will be playing with airbag components, so I suggest giving it 15 minutes before moving forward from here.

2. Remove the steering wheel shroud. This is the plastic part behind your steering wheel. There are three bolts on the bottom.

3. Remove the plastic kick cover - Pry from the top and it will flip down.

4. Remove the metal kick plate - 4 bolts - one on each side.

5. Disconnect and remove the airbag. This is a complicated procedure and took me the longest. Use a 3mm (factory recommended) or similar tool and insert it into the hole in the bottom of the wheel. Push straight up. Hard. It will move a spring up and release the airbag. Pry on the bottom of the airbag with your fingers and it should release. If you have trouble with this, I strongly recommend watching the following youtube video which explains this well (wait till the end bit where he figures it out):

aww2.justanswer.com_uploads_sasso1179_2011_11_11_010051_zcarb.jpg

aww2.justanswer.com_uploads_sasso1179_2011_11_11_010121_zcarb2.jpg

6. Unplug the rear connections from the airbag and put it somewhere.

7. Unbolt the steering wheel. Using an airbag removal tool (free rental at autozone), remove the steering wheel.

8. Mark the clockspring for alignment. I notched it in two spots to make sure I had it all correct. Then, remove the entire assembly. There is one screw on the top, one on the right side facing you, and one on the bottom. Pull straight towards you and it will come off.

9. Unbolt the top section of the steering column. There are two torx bolt holding it in.
Pull straight back on it to remove it and then put it somewhere.

10. Using a set of snapring pliers, remove the snap ring.

11. Remove the shroud from around the steering column. At this point ,you will have exposed the sensor in question.

12. Remove the inner circlip from inside the sensor. (Dorman PDF linked above does abetter job explaining this w/ a photo.

13. Unplug the sensor. Now, Using your fingers or a screwdriver on one side, gently pry the sensor towards you.

14. Now, its time to put the new part and in reassemble. Insert the new sensor where the old one was. Using your thumbs, push it down until it is seated. Once it it seated, you may remove the alignment clip.

15. Reinstall the shaft cover. Reinstall the snapring.

16. Reinstall the upper steering column. Bolt it up.

17. Reinstall the clockspring/turn signal assembly. Make sure it is lined up to your notches that you made earlier.

18. Install steering wheel. Reinstall airbag.

19. Install kickplate/plastic pieces removed earlier. Reconnect batteyr

20. Test Drive.
Need your advise desperately. My Escape 09 started having a power steering lapse. initially it was a split second stop. I finally started giving me a Power Steering Assist Fault message with no power steering on the vehicle. It appears to have been recalled but calling Ford resulted with me being told that my vin was not part of the recall. I have searched & evidently a whole lot of people have also had this problem. I reported it to the NHTSA & Fed Trade Commish as well but dont have much faith in that helping. Is your posted sensor procedure specifically for this Power Steering Assist Fault problem? Needless to say that I'm not budgeted for a $1600 fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to confirm that this fixed my problem as well.
My wife's steering wheel was shaking from left to right while ideling.
It was the torque sensor.
I will say that the dorman sensor he used in the post is discounted. I had to buy it from Tasca Parts and it was listed under the OEM part number not the Dorman number.
I don't remember the number off hand but it was easy to find.
Also you DO NOT have to remove the steering wheel from the Collume Or air bag from the wheel itsself.
This is a super easy and basic fix.
But you will need a very large set of snap ring pliers.
How that helps!

Hi Mrewubbsz,

I know it's been a while since you posted this... but in case you're still active on this site, can you tell me if you needed to do any type of calibration after the actual install. The install doesn't sound too terrible, but was wondering if there was any specialized computer equipment needed for after the install...

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, I would like to make my own update. I bought an entire column from a junkyard on www.car-part.com for $75 with 57k miles on it, so I know it's not super used. I swapped just the lower (motor) half of the column, put my old steering wheel/upper column assembly back on, and the power steering works, and no alignment issues or anything. This should save you some bank if you get a junkyard column. There is a youtube video on how to remove full column.
I see that's it's been quite some time since you posted this, just wondering if there was any kind of reset or initialization of the power steering assist that needed to be done after replacing the lower half of the column? The install seems pretty straight forward. However, I just finished watching a youtube video where the lower half of the steering column was replaced and he says you will need to "initialize" the power system but nothing as far as how that is done. Just curious if it was ready to go after the install of if you had to perform anything like this afterword. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have purchased an entire steering column from a local junk yard. Unfortunately it seems the wheels were turned. They sent me pictures but the tires have been removed so it's difficult to see how far they were turned. I'm worried about alignment issues. Is there a way to get the lower unit in a tire straight forward position? Or does it not matter?

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
Pete,

Welcome to the FFO!

For assistance would you post year and model for your situation?

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,511 Posts
41 - 60 of 83 Posts